Search the forum,

Discuss Acceptable lippage in large format floor tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

Whenever I’m going to have a job done or buy something or go somewhere new, i do a bit of homework first to make sure it’s what I want and expect, I wish all customers would do the same, it would save so much of this situation.

S

Shinyshiny054

Whenever I’m going to have a job done or buy something or go somewhere new, i do a bit of homework first to make sure it’s what I want and expect, I wish all customers would do the same, it would save so much of this situation.
@Localtiler I wish I had, really but (and I don’t want to XFactor sob story you with this) we’ve been living, four of us, in one room for months, someone offered a chance to escape it at a reasonable price and timescale and we jumped at it.

ANYWAY, the decision was poor but it’s done and paid for and now I need to try and find out the way forward and put this down to momentary stupidity.

J

Just Rizzle

have you reported him to trading standards if he says he guarantees his work trading standards are cracking down on rogue traders as its practically theft.

G

GoneGuy

They only tiled half the ground floor (thank god) so there are plenty of tiles left to assess for bowing etc. We’ll be doing the other half, will be interesting to see whether or not we do a better job with zero experience and a tile levelling system .

As I said, I don’t know WHY I paid this guy, I never do that, i just wasn’t thinking clearly and was so relieved to be on the Home run to moving out of a single bedroom upstairs and back into our house. It’s cramped with 4!

Another tiler is coming out tomorrow to assess and advise. Will ask him to look at the tiles as you have all suggested all possibilities for such a lax looking job.
Could you post a picture of two tiles face to face to show if there is any bowing of the tiles. Just to help clarify the issues of the tile?

G

GoneGuy

Could you post a picture of two tiles face to face to show if there is any bowing of the tiles. Just to help clarify the issues of the tile?
Im not saying the tile is to blame, just to show in pictures the quality of the tiles

S

Shinyshiny054

@RayTheTiler no, I’ve contacted him, he promised a repair today, it hasn’t happened so next step is to send an email then take it from there. Hoping the tiler coming tomorrow can advise in person on the quality of the job. Will take it to trading standards if he refuses to cooperate, based on the second opinion

@Adey1980 will look some out tomorrow and get some photos of them in the daylight. Will pop a spirit level on too, bit dark and snowy now!

O

Old Mod

Does the grout vary in colour at all?
Images 4,5,&6 appears to show grout being far too wet, image 5 in particular.
Those raised areas of grout are caused when grout is pushed in and the high water content pushes back out, causing bubble effect.

S

Shinyshiny054

Does the grout vary in colour at all?
Images 4,5,&6 appears to show grout being far too wet, image 5 in particular.
Those raised areas of grout are caused when grout is pushed in and the high water content pushes back out, causing bubble effect.
@3_fall doesn’t seem to vary in colour from what I can see. There only seems to be one instance of that bubbly looking bit, it’s mainly lack of grout that is the issue (and lippage).

I will mark all the areas later with a felt tip so I know how many are needing attention, it’s a large area so hard to guage exactly. Looks at its worst in the daylight - the tiler tonight will be coming when it’s dark. If I can get a decent photo il post it here too

Reply to Acceptable lippage in large format floor tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen