Discuss Acceptable lippage in large format floor tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Shinyshiny054

hi all,

I wrote some time back about issues with ufh system, we managed to get this laid and poured a screed over to level the floor. The screed wasn’t perfectly level but there wasn’t a great deal of variance across the floor. We employed a tiler as opposed to DIY due to large format tiles that varied a little in size plus the area to tile was vast and we wanted the best finish possible - hence calling in a professional. The work was completed on Thursday and I am concerned with the lippage of the tiles. I have contacted the tiler who says the problem was with the tiles being different sizes. To be clear, these weren’t expensive tiles, they varied between 603 and 605mm sq. could this be a valid reason for the lippage?

Further point - I asked about the shoddy grout work and was advised this was due to low lighting conditions (alarm bell!)

Further point - I asked if the high points on the floor should be ground down to give a flatter floor and was advised that it was within tolerance and wouldn’t affect the job.

Advice please - is this lippage acceptable?

Thnk you

6469FC24-D966-4041-81CB-8C9E13F2E71B.jpeg 74BAB22C-6AB2-4163-A87C-0ABAEFFA999A.jpeg 441492CC-0A70-4AEB-A202-035C4152228A.jpeg 84945577-65F1-49C5-B7DB-3F98C99B264C.jpeg A5613E68-DCDD-4C53-A863-BB7C1FA23315.jpeg 4DCB8CDF-F256-4199-B26C-33EBF1543205.jpeg AE0434BC-B792-443F-B4D3-D2710C3AC438.jpeg 3EB27735-77C7-40C6-B2CC-5B047164DE3F.jpeg

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not good is it...
Lippage is bad and not much attention to the finish...
Who leveled the floor you or the tiler...?

S

Shinyshiny054

Not good is it...
Lippage is bad and not much attention to the finish...
Who leveled the floor you or the tiler...?
I levelled the floor, there were a couple of high spots but he said that these wouldn’t be a problem. We’d bought a sanding pad to rub the high spots back a little but were advised the floor was level enough. I know the tiles weren’t great quality, hence why I’m looking to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Then I look at the grout and think - we’ve been cowboyed

F

Flintstone

It’s not a good job. Grouting and clean up is the worst of it but the lips aren’t good either

F

Flintstone

It’s bad grouting that’s a cert. if it was too dark then he should have some lights

S

Shinyshiny054

The whole wall is a window, and there is a pendant light there too. They turned up some time after the sun was up (which is late, since its winter...) therefore had to work somewhat after the sun started to go down - not that long however. No mention made when they left that the grout was so shoddy. Have asked when he is coming back and got no response. Could more grout solve some of the lippage issues? Can grout be added retrospectively? Should a discount be given for the unevenness?

Thanks all

T

Time's Ran Out

@Shinyshiny054 - there it is - ‘should a discount be given for the unevenness?’

Put 2 of the 605mm tiles together and then 2 of the 603mm and you’d need a joint of up to 6mm to cope for the poor quality tiles you supplied.
That’s no excuse for the poor quality areas of grouting you have shown and yes he could add a grout wash to low areas and scrape off the excess.

S

Shinyshiny054

@Shinyshiny054 - there it is - ‘should a discount be given for the unevenness?’

Put 2 of the 605mm tiles together and then 2 of the 603mm and you’d need a joint of up to 6mm to cope for the poor quality tiles you supplied.
That’s no excuse for the poor quality areas of grouting you have shown and yes he could add a grout wash to low areas and scrape off the excess.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt; I am curious to know if there are tiling tricks of the trade that would allow for the variation to be taken into account, but given your response I am guessing not.

I have asked for him to return and repair the grout job, he is sending someone tomorrow. Hoping that this takes care of at least some of the unevenness, the rest will need to be covered with a rug.

I

Italy

Christ!!! what I must see and hear
still in 2018 .........
little lighting ....
this is like climbing
on the mirrors ....
sure it was a tiler?
take more care of the grouting and a self-leveling system,
they would have solved all the problems a lot.
I'm very sorry for this result.

Reply to Acceptable lippage in large format floor tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks