Search the forum,

Discuss A question about plywood thickness? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

ron2012

Hello everybody, this is my first post so firstly I wanted to say hello and thank you to the person who set up this site as it is a great idea!

My problem is that the grout between the tiles on the floor of my bathroom are cracking and the tiles feel like they are moving quite alot when you walk on them. My question is: How thick should the plywood under electric underfloor heating be? My builder, who I am on good terms with and who did lots of work on our house last year says that he has put in 18mm thick plywood in our first floor bathroom as the joists centres are 38cm apart and that he would only need to use 25mm thick plywood if the joist centres were more than 40cm apart. Is this correct??
We have electric underfloor heating, but he has used flexible grout and adhesive.

He has layed the electric underfloor heating directly over the 18mm plywood then put adhesive then the tiles. He is proposing to take the tiles up and insert mesh under the underfloor heating cables but doesn't feel that he needs to put 25mm plywood down. As the bathroom in completely tiled (floor and walls) putting the plywood down would mean taking everything out and starting again pretty much.

Can anyone help with this query? Someone else who came to have a look said that we definitely needed 25mm plywood and that was the cause of the cracking and movement in the tiles and grout.

many thanks

D

DHTiling

Hi and welcome...

Sorry to hear of your dilemma..

Can you clarify some q's first..

Do you know if noggings were used at plywood joints..and how often fixing intervals were used..?

Do the UFH get encapsulated in Self leveller.?

Do you know what adhesive was used.?

Do you know what grout was used..?

and what tile type is it.?

Reply to A question about plywood thickness? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen