Search the forum,

Discuss A big hole in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

E

edie

Greetings.

This is my first post here so go easy please.

20130311_160406.jpg

I have a hole to fill in a shower room, the picture shows it well.
I was thinking of taking the four tiles out that surround the hole and putting a piece of board or MDF in the gap and then tiling onto this piece of board.

I can use a slightly oversize piece of board cut into two halves so I can insert them into the hole and then was thinking of glueing the new board onto the back of the old board using gripfill ( I hope this makes sense).

Then I was thinking of simply grouting new tiles onto the MDF.

My question is does this sound like a good plan and also would grout adhere OK to MDF or would I need to put a layer of some sort of bonding onto the MDF first?

I also have to tile from the top of the shower unit up to the ceiling, it's only about one foot but it has been painted so again I am not sure if the grout will take to the paint.

I would really appreciate any opinions here.

Thanks very much.

P.S. This is not my shower and the existing tiles have been put onto plasterboard.
I put a supply in for an electric shower and the guy has asked me to patch up this hole.
I'm thinking if I patch up this hole I might be held responsible for the rest of the shower if it leaks.
Maybe it's best to walk away, what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
E

enduro

Walk away...a bit faster...now run!! Sounds a complete bodge to me. Leave well alone.

E

edie

Well the electrical supply and the shower have been installed which is was I was asked to do.

I ran the mains 15mm water pipe and the electrical supply down behind the tiles in the stud wall that you see pictured.

I drilled two holes into the tiles and pulled the cable and the mains pipe out then terminated them into the electric shower.

The two holes that I have made to fit the water pipe and the cables can be sealed easily enough with silicone and there are no leaks in the joints that I have made to the 15mm mains water pipe.

I didn't really want to touch the water supply but seeing as I was in the loft and installing the electrics I agreed too.

Can anyone see anything wrong with what I have done EG feeding the water supply down behind the tiles in the stud wall and then cutting a hole into the tiles to retrieve it?

The shower is in a house that has been bought by a landlord.
The house was owned by a keen DIY'er and this shower room is I suspect a result of his DIY antics.
The real problem is the house is now a shared house with five people living in it and that shower room will have a lot of people coming and going.
It will be used an awful lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

edie

Ok a quick question.

If you as a professional tiler were asked to plug this hole what would be your answer?
What would be your advice, would it be to rip the whole lot out and start again?

Thanks.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i would do as you said and stop at what you were contracted to do let some one else deal with that shambles hes asking you to sort as it will probably go wrong at some point

B

bugs183

As with Kilty, tell him it needs doing properly, if you you try to fudge it then you will inherit all of the problems from this job.
Ooh yea, never use Mdf in a shower, any water ingress will make it swell up big style!

Reply to A big hole in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen