Search the forum,

Discuss 9mm ply over 22mm chipboard, which primer,addy to use in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazebo

Hi all
Got a 5sqm floor to tile with 300x300 ceramics 8mm thick, floor was 22mm flooring chipboard onto 8inch joists, floor has been overboard with 9mm exteriori ply screwed at 200 centres, which primer, addy and grout should i be looking at using, floor is bathroom (not wetroom) doesnt appear to have any deflection, also wall tiles are 270mmx370mm 8mm ceramics onto aquapanel in shower area and exisiting plastered walls elsewhere what addy primer should i use here, some of the walls have normal emulsion paint on which i cannot seem to shift, do i need to remove this if it is bonded well, if i prime it will it react with primer. ?

Cheers guys
Gary

D

doug boardley

plyed floor section sounds sound gary, prime with acrylic primer flexible addy and grout of your choice, for added security and piece of mind you could use 2 part flexible addy and grout with GT1 admixture. As for walls, have you tried moistening them to see if emulsion will soak off plaster work? as Dave says "no need to jetwash them", There was a post a couple of weeks back about painted walls and ways to remove it, but if you've tried everything and it still won't budge I'd prime a small area first with acrylic primer to see if that may bring it off. As walls are plastered you will need to prime them,obviously not with pva! and I'd use a spf addy for wall tiles. Hope this helps Gary
Doug:santa_cheesy:

D

doug boardley

just an after thought gary, pick your floor tile adhesive before you prime ply as some manufacturers recommend no priming with their products

G

Gazebo

Cheers for your help Doug, its as i suspected with the primer and addy, if i use Bal products any ideas as to what ones to use, .? is it Bal prime SBR or APD etc.
Many thanks
and have a great day.
Gary

D

doug boardley

I mainly use Ultra ,Gary but with bal I think it's better to use the apd primer, pretty sure with the bal 2 part flexi that they say not to prime the floors tho' ( some of the more experienced BAL users will confirm/deny this tho')

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

If you use BAL onto ply you do not prime the ply. You should have sealed the back and edges with BAL Bond SBR though! I certainly don't think you need 2 part with 22mm chipboard and 9mm ply though, it isn't a big floor.

Reply to 9mm ply over 22mm chipboard, which primer,addy to use in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen