Search the forum,

Discuss 10cm x 10cm square wall tiles in a brick layout? Yes or no? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

MissH

Hi all,

Bit stuck on getting the right pattern for tiling my kitchen walls. I've chosen the tiles finally and they are a slatey effect in 4 colours. I loved the mosaics but were too expensive! Anyway so the tiles don't look boring I thought about getting the tiler to set them in a brick layout. The tiles would go up to the bottom of the units and in an "arc" shape up to the glass on the chimney hood (what do you think about this? is this difficult to do?). Wherethe breakfast bar bit is reached I thought only 2 rows of tiling - one looks a bit twee and old fashioned! I would like to edge exposed areas with chrome.

Question is can brick layout be done with multi coloured tiles? I've put photos on Flickr so you can see the tiles and layout of the kitchen? Are these tiles better suited to a simple square layout?
Flickr: Huckelberry67's Photostream

How much more difficult is to lay brick style? Will I need to order extra? What should I ask the tiler about?!

I've decided to only go with 4 of the 5 colours of the tiles - the very light one again looked a bit old fashioned mixed in so prefer just the mix of four.

Thanks for your help!!

M

Minesacarling

Just my opinion but I wouldn't have them brick pattern. I think it would look to busy, if you get what I mean. Especially with them only being 4"x4" tiles

M

MissH

Thanks and sorry for the gigantic text! Not sure what happened there! I do know what you mean...maybe if the tiles were one colour brick layout would work but I do like the mixed colours! Teh simple layout does actually look better in the photos to be honest sp pleased I took some. I'm also a bit worried that it might be tricky to lay out brick style around the bit that sticks out from the breakfast bar.

I

Ian

I'm not really a fan of brick bond with square tiles and, with all the colours you have chosen, I think it will look a little fussy. Just my opinion. I think that selection of tiles would be much better suited to being laid straight, in a random pattern.

B

Bubblecraft

I'm not a fan of brick bond on 4 x 4's. It can sometimes end up like this depending on the tile. I know this isn't centre but it can still happen
2e5yqude.jpg

M

MissH

Thanks! Think I'll just stick to normal layout. Don't want my kitchen to look like an optical illusion :) That pattern makes me feel a bit queasy!

S

StevieBoy

Hi - Brick Bond, Half Bond whatever you want to call it with square tiles is a definate no no for me personally regardless of size.
As others have said, it wouldn't look right and would look to "busy"

J M O

M

MissH

Thanks for the diagonal suggestion. I'm not actually doing the tiling myself, leaving it to the pros as there's lots of sockets! Have posted in the looking for a tiler section... :)

Reply to 10cm x 10cm square wall tiles in a brick layout? Yes or no? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen