Currently reading:
wrong size trim?

Discuss wrong size trim? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

hayley

i've just had my kitchen re-tiled and for some reason the trim on all the wall tiles over-hangs the tiles by about a centimetre...

i thought tile trims were supposed to be flush with the tiles, but my tiler was making up a hundred excuses as to why it wasn't level...

am i right in thinking the trim shouldn't stick out further from the wall than the tiles??

any advice would be appreciated!!

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Olz

I won a qoute yesterday based soley on the fact that the other tiler that had qouted had tried to convince the customer to only have upright trims on a half height splashback, with no trims on the tops of the tiles upto and into the window, the customer said that the tiler had said that a three way cut would look too cluttered, the customer immediatley thought that the tiler couldnt do the three way cut, despite the tiler trying to blag it. :lol:

The customer said my qoute was more expensive but he had no confidence in the other guy.

O

Olz

no sorry , tiles are finished flush with tile trims , no 1 mm overhang . sorry guys not good enough , or is it just me ?. always if in doubt go a litt le thicker with the trim and build out so that the tiles finished flush. nothing worse than tiles overhanging trim even if it is only a mm.

unless i've misread mate, the trim is overhanging the tiles, not the tiles overhanging the trim

G

grumpygrouter

there are a lot of these brick shape tiles that you simply cannot trim with out overhang,and yes it looks crap.
the only way to do them is MITRE,and charge plenty for it.
Yes you are right Oldgit. One way to reduce the problem if you know you have to trim is to set out so you end up with a 1/4 3/4 cut where the trim is going to be. Doesn't eliminate the problem but it reduces it greatly.

Reply to wrong size trim? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.