Discuss Which voltage drill to use? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Stan001

I would also second 18v minimum and the highest current rated battery you can get. I use Makita and Bosch. I would also second the statements ref buying cheap. The cool thing about Makita is they are a made in the UK or Japan (look on the metal label to check) so probably the quality is still there, and their returns policy / customer support I’ve heard is very good. If you buy Bosch then buy Bosch blue not the green ones, the blue are the trade spec with metal gearboxes etc, the green are DIY spec with plastic internals. Don’t forget that when you start buying rechargeable you really start committing to a system of tools that will all use the same battery interface. So make sure the Makita, Bosch, DeWalt range etc. has enough toys in there to keep you happy in the future.
p.s. you also need to get a good charger thrown in – they cost a fortune bought separately.
p.p.s. my fav tool in my big box is a Makita 800W SDS drill - totally abused for the last two years and works perfect each time - hummmm - power tools - purrrrrrrr :drool5:

D

Deleted member 1779

We've got 2 x Dewalt 14v which we bought from Screwfix a year ago for £99 each.

br3a.jpg

Its still the same deal but the voltage is 18v now and not 14v.

For drilling tiles (and we do thousands of demos a year) these are good enough it just means we change the batteries about 4 times a day.

A 14V drill will be "man enough" for drilling tiles. But if you can get more for your money then go for it....!

br5a.jpg

At 14V these drills from a year ago do fine. But the spec is now 18V for the same money

Oh and the reason its de-branded is because they wouldnt let us show anything on Dragons Den.
den2.jpg

Dewalt would have loved it if Peter Jones was showing their make on the BBC.....

So it was out with the label peelers and the alcohol rub !

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dagger

i have learned that for drilling you need low speed and high torque, my dewalt mixer drill is just perfect!

i have a 18v dewalt cordless cant remember the model number but it cost a fortune(£280) , it is great for construction, but it is way to quick for drilling, unless you have a free supply!
oh and by the way 365, if you send me some free drill bits i will let you know how they fare on both of my drills!:lol::lol:

D

Deleted member 1779

Of course! - We are a registered charity.....

n617362013_534716_6933.jpg

We do a lot for the needy.... Free drill bits? I'll set Laura and her drill onto you!

C

Colour Republic

that's quite a good spec.

What you must look put for when buying a drill is 2 things 1) The Ah (amp hours) this is how much grunt it's got or tourqe, much more important then voltage and 2) the type of battery, nicad batterys have a 'memory' this means that you have to flaten the battery everytime before you recharge it otherwise it will lose some of it's power where as Li batterys don't degrade over time... well that is what they say altough only time will tell

as for brand I would advise going for Makita, Materbo or festool, dewalt used to be the market leader but they have fallen in quality over the years... I bought a 14v dewalt drill 12 years ago that is still going strong (when they had metal gears as standard) I bought another 14v Dewalt 3 years ago that has long been in landfill (rubbish battery and plastic gears)

Ohh and who said they had an Elu? they were Dewalt tools back in the day. You say it's still ggoing strong... I rest my case!

S

Stan001

Nearly right – the voltage and current are both important.
Volts x Amps = Watts = Power = Grunt !

D

dagger

mine is 18v, 2.6 nimh, x3 batts and half hour charger, with hammer action, i would give it to laura, if she thinks it will help!:lol:

C

Colour Republic

Makita £59-00 with 3 batteries does everything you need!
Northern tools.

I'm sorry I disagree, I suppose if all you use it for is to dill the odd hole in tiles and maybe mix up a bit of muck now and again then you don't need to spend much but if you are using the drill daily then you really should buy something that covers all needs and in most cases these drills set you back between the £250-£350 mark.

G

Gazzer

Hi all, am interested in purchasing a cordless drill for obvious reasons. Like to know what voltage you guys are using that cope with tile drilling etc. Will 14v suffice or do i need 18v? Am really just looking at Dewalt or Bosch for reliability but if anyone knows better, please advise.

I'm sorry I disagree, I suppose if all you use it for is to dill the odd hole in tiles and maybe mix up a bit of muck now and again then you don't need to spend much but if you are using the drill daily then you really should buy something that covers all needs and in most cases these drills set you back between the £250-£350 mark.

richiep asked for a drill that will cope with drilling tiles etc so i feel TJs response correct. All depends on what else you want to use it for, all i can say is my 14.4v Makita has never struggled or let me down in the time i have had it and i use it for everything i do. Of course we can always chase our tails buying the latest tools which will be total over kill to our needs. Gotta love those tools :thumbsup:

C

Colour Republic

richiep asked for a drill that will cope with drilling tiles etc so i feel TJs response correct. All depends on what else you want to use it for, all i can say is my 14.4v Makita has never struggled or let me down in the time i have had it and i use it for everything i do. Of course we can always chase our tails buying the latest tools which will be total over kill to our needs. Gotta love those tools :thumbsup:

You are quite right Sir Ramic, if that's all it is needed for then a cheap but branded drill is all it needs. You may get me wrong though about chasing the latest tool, my 12 year old 14.4v dewalt cost me £250 and is still going stong, I have a twin pack 14.4v Makita (£89) that I use for kitchen fitting as it's nice and light and fits in 300mm cabinets, I also have a 18v 3ah Panasonic (£380) which I use for drilling masonary, the panasonic is my main drill and is just starting to give up but it is 7 years old and must have done in excess of 3,000hrs. So the next drill I buy will be of similar quality but then I need it as some of you know I'm a builder not a tiler:thumbsup:

Reply to Which voltage drill to use? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks