Search the forum,

Discuss When is a blade useless? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wallygrout

Hi everyone

This is going to sound like a moronic question I know.

I was rooting out all my DIY tiling stuff ready for a project (sounds rather grand - I am doing a bit of tiling in the bathroom!) and found a couple of wet cutter blades I had previously replaced. Thing is how do you know when they need replacing?

It is a while since I used it and it may be that the cutters were replaced because they were not doing any cutting as such, although that job was porcelain floor tiles.

The thickened strip round the edge obviously is the bit that does the business and this gets thinner as it wears. But when is it necessary to bin it?

I see Dave sells a rubi ceramic thing for rejuvenating the blade and it made me think could I perk these two up and carry on using them a bit longer?

I guess when the diamond strip gets down to the steel edge of the circular blade itself it wouldn't cut on the actual edge of the blade - but the sides would still have a fair bit of material left on them.

What do you think grateful for any thoughts for a very occasional diy tiler.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I think you've pretty much answered your own question. I'd try the ceramic block first, if it doesn't reveal any new diamonds, it's time for a new blade. :thumbsup:

O

Olz

Sorry if im teaching you to suck eggs mate but basically the rim of the blade is coated in layers of diamond, as they blunt they wear away leaving a new layer, if they blunt through overheating they can be removed using a brick or similar to ground off the top layer of diamonds, when all the layers have worn off its time to bin them.

Letting the blade run dry and overheat will wear them out quicker, as will trying to cut something above their graded use, like trying to cut hard porc with a ceramic blade.

W

wallygrout

Thank you the explanation no worries at all - I am only marginally more competent at tiling than I am at sucking eggs..

Reply to When is a blade useless? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen