Currently reading:
Whats that arrow on the underside of my tiles

Discuss Whats that arrow on the underside of my tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Filip

TF
Midlands
There are a few different thoughts on it, but I was told by a tile manufacturer it was the direction in which the tiles travelled through the manufacturing process from firing through to digital print & glazing.

I've heard that
So as the person laying them why would I need to know. I understand with carpet tiles as they have a direction of the pile and you can see the shade difference.Is it the same idea but to a lesser degree with tiles then.I have not done many rooms but never noticed it on a tile before

F

Flintstone

Here’s one I did last year with 60x60 porcelain with arrows on the back, I kept them all the same way, there’s a very clear directional patern to me
C43F4D21-CDD6-484C-8C7A-2EFDA8852296.jpeg
C419D03B-2E63-4DD6-8200-974EFF7F7A65.jpeg

O

Old Mod

I believe it to be direction of travel thro ovens/kilns. And it would make sense that the pattern flows that way because it’s the direction of travel through process. If there’s a fairly even split between arrows and non arrows it’s generally cos at the end of the process, 60 x 60’s are cut in half. That’s why it’s only on some and not others.

Filip

TF
Midlands
I believe it to be direction of travel thro ovens/kilns. And it would make sense that the pattern flows that way because it’s the direction of travel through process. If there’s a fairly even split between arrows and non arrows it’s generally cos at the end of the process, 60 x 60’s are cut in half. That’s why it’s only on some and not others.
I only have 1 here so i cannot check an others, I didn't know they could of started out as 60x60.
So if it is deemed an important issue by the manufacturer to aid the installer with arrows then why cut them off on half of them.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
The arrows are unimportant imo, go with what looks best, some riven or pattern tiles look best all going the same way some don't.
Just look at the face of the tile if one is going in a different direction and stands out like a sore thumb , then put them all the same way, I've tiled hundreds of floors and never taken any notice of the arrows.

I

Italy

the arrow .... puff ....
the arrow only serves if you have calibration problems.
if one side does not have the same size as the other.
when you make the buttering, goodbye arrow ....
one day I was laying 150x75cm, and the sales representative
of the brand has come to look at the tiler.
he told me to follow the arrows ...
I replied: if you do not go away, I'll put the arrow in your a.s ...
he escaped immediately.
I did not understand the reason for his escape ...

Filip

TF
Midlands
That’s exactly what in do. They are usually all the same direction in the box. Open a box, lean it against wall, flick through and put small pencil mark on face.
Got an idea, hold them all together and put one line of pencil down the whole stack edge in one go so it wont even be seen once its down.

Now to go through the 3 boxes of loose tiles I have opened to plan my set out. !

Reply to Whats that arrow on the underside of my tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to tile a simple drywall construction in our bathroom. I got some good advice here so I hope you guys...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement