Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss What Would You Want From A Tile Fixer's Association? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

One Day

Ok, without this immediately becoming a "rip the TTA to pieces" thread;

What would you want from an association?

I've put this in the Arms as it's most relevant to pro fixers. And I'll leave out my own thoughts for now...
Your ideas please!

S

Spud

A detailedtechnical handbook like the TCNA produce for their tilers , Independant testing lab,skills testing and centre of excellence for training and mentoring both new tilers and established fixers , regular communication via email and telephone
If I win the euro millions jackpot on Friday I will do run for free

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
It's a good idea in theory to have these trade governing bodies, and in some ways i'm all for it, but until the masses are educated regarding different trades and who should and shouldn't be doing them it's just pointless. So many other countries seem to have better systems where a tiler is just that,so is a plumber, spark etc. In this country it seems to be the norm that you are encouraged to do a bit of everything. Which is why there is such a massive amount of rework jobs out there. So much of my work last year was rework. It's sad really.
So I guess I would like a governing body fighting to get it into peoples thick skulls that tiling is actually a bit more than a bit of PVA and blobbed adhesives.
Not sure how they would go about that mind.......

C

Colour Republic

£50 cash back on over inflated public liability insurance plus a window sticker for the van and I'm all over it like a rash.

M

MTiler

Garys article in the lastest Tile & Stone Journal was very interesting but the reply from TTA was a joke and didnt answer his points. Didnt exactly encourage me to join TTA and Ive been thinking about it for some time.
The system in the US sounds good ie. TCNA book etc.

S

SJPurdy

Access to standard written forms would help many who are good at the practical tiling side of things but lack confidence in documentation. eg. standard terms of business, terms of payment, clauses that should be included in quotations etc.

A way of registering work completed that would record eg materials used, methods used etc. that could be part of some type of guarantee for the work (customer payment premium). If you want double glazing fitted now it has to be by a member of FENSA so that you have some form of guarantee - so maybe something similar to this. I think similar things apply to tiling in other countries.

It would have to be meaningful to the customers of members. Members must be vetted for their ability to do just general tiling work, plus design and fitting wet-rooms, plus under tile heating etc. or whatever they will be claiming they can do as members. Members must be seen as more than someone just paying to be a member (there are too many of those associations already).

B

bcd-87

Access to standard written forms would help many who are good at the practical tiling side of things but lack confidence in documentation. eg. standard terms of business, terms of payment, clauses that should be included in quotations etc.

A way of registering work completed that would record eg materials used, methods used etc. that could be part of some type of guarantee for the work (customer payment premium). If you want double glazing fitted now it has to be by a member of FENSA so that you have some form of guarantee - so maybe something similar to this. I think similar things apply to tiling in other countries.

It would have to be meaningful to the customers of members. Members must be vetted for their ability to do just general tiling work, plus design and fitting wet-rooms, plus under tile heating etc. or whatever they will be claiming they can do as members. Members must be seen as more than someone just paying to be a member (there are too many of those associations already).

Very good answer

I

Italy

is off topic?
I, in Italy I would like a database in real time, where to put all those who do not pay within 30 days of the work.
so as not to no work to perform to these gentlemen.
if the work is not performed to perfection, pay first then dispute before the judge.
all in 30 days.
not 30 years ....
for example in Austria, if not paid within 30 days, you do not buy no more in austria.
Italian economy apportioned in six months, it's only money that begin to spin

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

a standard set for all to work towards stating with apprentice then inprover then tiler then tiler foreman then master tiler a tiler without aim will never hit the target .

Reply to What Would You Want From A Tile Fixer's Association? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks