Search the forum,

Discuss Wetroom Leaking - Please Help! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Holly Thwaites

We did think about that but unfortunately the mosaic tiles are against one of the wooden batons of the frame so we still wouldn't be able to see behind it. I think we may just have to bite the bullet and take the floor up.

padtheplumber

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
How about taking a tile off the front, drill a hole through the batton and use an inspection camera to have a nose around? If you don't know anyone with one you can get them pretty cheap from aldi now and again - might be a cheaper option to start with than a complete rip out.

S

SJPurdy

When I have fitted similar "insulation board" type shower tray formers the instructions stressed how important it is to make sure all the perimeter of the tray is supported by timber noggins and that the area around the waste outlet should also be supported by, at least, timber noggins. Maybe your board is a stronger type that doesn't need them or they were put in after the first picture. However if this was the problem then I think that you would have a reservoir of water trapped under the tray continually leaking rather than a leak that only occurs when using the shower.

When in use water can get into the shower door end channels/supports. For this reason it is often specified that the base of the shower door assembly is sealed on the outside but not on the inside; so that any water that gets into the door assembly can escape inwards towards the shower. If this area is the problem then it should b easier to check - with everything starting dry; use the shower with water splashing on to the door - an observer outside will be able to see water leaking through the door assembly.

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
That looks like a wedi shower tray. They really need to be supported well and the interface from the shower tray to the wall need extra attention to ensure it remains water tight. The littlest bit of movement over time can lead to issues.

M

Meddler

I also agree with Purdy and GAZ5518 that the shower enclosure frame may be the culprit.

Purdy’s suggestion may identify an obvious leak from the door / frame but also try using the shower without any water getting onto the door / frame. This may allow you to rule out any problems with the tiling / enclosure / drains etc. If the leak doesn’t show run the shower with the jet on the frame.

Frames should generally be sealed on the outside so that water can escape back into the shower enclosure. I cant see how your frame is sealed at the bottom but if you don't get an obvious dribble the water could be seeping from the bottom of the frame through the grout and collecting where the vertical surface meets the floor.

M

mache

A suggestion to rule out a leak in the waste would be to run a hose directly into the drain. No leak you know the waste is ok. You might then be able to try running the hose from different points on the floor. If you don't have the flow to high so the water just runs in the direction of the fall and doesn't over run other areas you might then prove if one area is suspect.

M

mache

Just to follow on if the floor proves ok then you might have problem through the wall tiles.

Reply to Wetroom Leaking - Please Help! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen