Search the forum,

Discuss Wetroom dilemma's - want to pick on your professional opinon on this in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com.

All professional opinon appreciated - Had a wetroom done and the tiles are falling off in the wetroom, the tiler used the dot and dab method in a wetroom. I have up loaded the images to see what your opinon should we take the tiles off and start again.

tile disaster.jpg falling tiles.jpg

T

Tile Shop

Me: "So, how did you fix the tiles?"
Fxr: "Each one with 6 of my partners homemade dumplin's! 30 years of them never did me no 'arm! Proper sticky they are! Stuck my guts together many'a'time"
Me: "yeah, obviously they're just like you, only half-baked!"

Me: "Primer?"
Fxr: "Whats that?... Ahh, you mean PVA, maybe I did, maybe I didn't. One of lifes little mysteries that."

Me: "Tanking?"
Fxr: "In me day, 30 years ago, never had tanking! Why should I start now?"

Me: "Heavy porcelain tiles on plaster?"
Fxr: "Yes lad, whats your point?"

Quite simply, take 'em down before they fall down, possibly with you standing under them!

T

Tile Shop

Grout only fills the gaps, as does the silicone. They're not designed to fix anything to anything.

Looks like he may possibly have used a cement based adhesive, judging by how grainy it is and how cleanly it has come away from the plaster. But this also implies that a primer wasn't used. Cement adhesives are not directly compatible with plaster and require an SBR or acrylic primer to adhere to the surface. If it was a ready mixed adhesive, it might stick to plaster, but being applied that thick and being used to fix porcelain, will never dry correctly and could still easily peel cleanly from the plaster.

Porcelain tiles and fixing materials weigh probably in the region of 25+kgs per sqm. The weight limit of plaster is only 20 so there is potential that if the adhesive did indeed stick to plaster, the tiles would possibly fall off and take a good chunk of the skim with it.

Tanking. Part of British Standards now that all wet areas should be tanked. Its always been good practice but now it is official. Water sensitive substrates (such as plaster), if they are not tanked and get wet (which they will do even after they are tiled, from condensation or water passing through the grout (which is water resistant, not waterproof)), will turn to mush and become unstable.

Sorry, but it is a complete rip-out and re-done by someone who knows how to tackle a wetroom, but someone who knows how to tile would be a good start.

looks to have a bit of a shine to the wall in the first picture which may indicate PVA was used to prime the walls.They could have used ready mixed as Mapei stik is grainy but my understanding was it's a big no no using ready mixed on porcelain or even ceramics over 400 x 250.
,I would defo take the advice of the tiler you had finish it & start it from scratch again cos the last thing you want is it raining tiles whilst your in the shower

Reply to Wetroom dilemma's - want to pick on your professional opinon on this in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement