Discuss Wet cutter chipping final part of cut? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

dtd00

Hi,
I am new to this and have a wet tile cutter. It seems to be working brilliantly for 99% of the cut (8mm ceramic floor tiles) but on the last part of the cut it keeps cracking the finish and chipping the corner off.

I am trying to feed the tile slowly through the cutter but I am not sure whether I should be doing something different at the end of the cut? Should I be cutting upside down etc?

TIA,

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Try not pressing so hard near the end (the blade should feed itself through the tile pretty much through the whole tile - just a little pressure is required) but also try cutting 10mm into the tile one end, then turn the tile around and cutting the rest of the tile to meet the small cut you made.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for signing up. :)

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As above........make a short 10mm or so cut at one end...........spin the tile around and do your full cut. It can happen on cheaper tiles?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I don't want to make any assumptions. But you have got water in the trough and using a suitable blade right?

D

dtd00

As above........make a short 10mm or so cut at one end...........spin the tile around and do your full cut. It can happen on cheaper tiles?
Thanks for the replies.

Will try the 10mm ing tomorrow.

The tiles may be quite brittle; I have reclaimed them from another room so they have been through the trauma of being removed as well as 8 years use!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Then they are more likely to snap via the vibration of the wet cutter than a quick sharp snap of a tile scribe and your hands, to be fair.

Give it a go too.

D

dtd00

Thanks for all the replies. I think I was allowing the tile to rotate around the blade at the last moment so it was shearing off. By slowing down and holding the tile firmly my problem went away.

As a general rule what is the best (most reliable, accurate etc) way of making straight cuts? Should I use the wet saw or a score and snap cutter?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
A good manual cutter.
Sod trapsing downstairs and out to the wet cutter for each straight cut i had to do. I'd have thighs the size of tree trunks and lung capacity of a hot air ballon!

Reply to Wet cutter chipping final part of cut? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks