Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Wedi vs Hardie for shower tanking in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

117ws

TF
Reaction score
hi all,

After abit if advice re boards for shower and tanking....

My 1200x800 shower has two existing walls within it, one of plasterboard stud wall and the other plastered masonry.

I was thinking of removing the plasterboard within the shower area and replacing with either wedi or Hardie, and the masonry wall either overboarding if plaster is sound or if not removing plaster and boarding the masonry with 12mm wedi / Hardie.

First question would be what’s everyone preference for boards? Wedi or Hardie or something else I should be looking at? (That’s easily available)

Or as I’m tanking it should I bother to replace the plasterboard at all? (I’m thinking of belt and braces)

Second question would be which tanking kit to use?

I’m a plasterer so not devoid of skill but not as experienced with this lot as you chaos!

Thanks

G

GoneGuy

Wedi boards are easier to cut, only need to seal joints and screw as it’s waterproof.
Hardiebacker more time consuming to cut and heavier board, you need to seal the whole board , joints and screws as it’s only water resistant

W

Waluigi

The majority of walls I do in Bathrooms are 12.5mm SE PB

Showers are tanked using the Tilemaster Tanking Kit.

I would use an XPS board like Wedi if my tiles exceeded the weight limit or got close to it (32kg PSM)

117ws

TF
Reaction score
Were only going with metro tiles so weight wise I’m not worried was more from a longevity waterproofing point on view - was unsure if just tanking the existing solid plaster and p’board wall would be sufficient enough?

W

Waluigi

It’s your judgement. I’d look at how well bonded the skim is. Personally it would be absoluetely fine with tanked PB. Considering a DIYer came on to this website recently and suggested that a relative had tiled their shower onto skimmed plasterboard, no tanking and used ready mixed and the majority of people said it would be fine. I’d suggest that tanked plasterboard would be a lot better than Fine, it would be perfect.

T

Time's Ran Out

.. and that’s why plumbers are such idiots in the eyes of following trades.
Giving inaccurate information on a tilers forum in the hope of one upmanship.
You may wish to be taken as a professional @Waluigi but grow up and act like one!

W

Waluigi

Instead of calling names, how about a reasoned argument based on the discussion :)

O

One Day

Oh come on guys! Let it go...
tenor.gif

W

WetSaw

The argument is that the OP on this thread is asking for advice before commencing. In the other thread you are referring to the vast majority of the work had been completed, apparently to a satisfactory standard. Clearly stripping it out wouldn't have achieved too much. If they had asked before starting they would have received the same advice offered in this thread.
I'm sure you've joined some pipes in your time that in an ideal world you'd have done differently but you don't always have a choice.

W

Waluigi

Absolutely!

I think if you read my post again it does explain that :)

In fact, in the other thread I did explain how it should be done if the job were to be re started fresh.

Reply to Wedi vs Hardie for shower tanking in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks