Search the forum,

Discuss Water retention in ceramic tiles? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Billy Hunt

Hi All,I have had an enquiry from an old customer of mine regarding a change in appearance of her ceramic tiles in her shower area.
Job was done approx 3 years ago fully taped and tanked so no issues with substrate breakdown to my knowledge.

Customer is intrigued to know why some of her tiles at the base of the shower tray seem to be darker in colour than the others,I haven't been to look as yet so can't say anymore but I have read somewhere that the biscuit of some tiles can retain water for too long and cause a different appearance on the face of ceramics:yikes:anyone experienced this or have any info to share?
Much Obliged:thumbsup:

T

tfs

Hi mate,

ceramics are prone to change in colour due to wear and tear. UV light from sun is one example, so may be due to this, she may also just have to give them a good clean. textured tiles can also allow grime, oils etc to adhere to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

heavytrevy

it is very possible, espes if the grout has pin holes letting water in.
would take weeks maybee mths to dry out.
easy fix is to rake out the existing silicon and grout and get a heat lamp on it for a few days to dry out .

D

DHTiling

Unless the joints are grouted with Epoxy then water can get in, the best thing you have done ( Tanking), if the shower is used more than once a day then the grout does not get chance to dry out and water ingresses into the joints wetting the tiles biscuit, this then wicks across the whole tile if not given the chance to dry out.. It is not a problem but just looks odd having this darker appearance to them..

J

jay

[/ATTACH]
something like this

agree Dave the second pic shows full tiles effected

no im not guilty of the tiling

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Water retention in ceramic tiles? in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen