Search the forum,

Discuss Wall Tiling - The sand & cement method in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Tried and Tested ways... Was hard work , but solid..
How my Father and Grandfather learned their trade... Remember my Dad saying to me do not get into this game son... too bloody hard...
.38 years now in it and still going... Thanks Dad:))

Do you reckon they would allow you to do it this way nowadays? I'd love to give it a shot see if I could still do it..... hard work yes but nothing better than going home physically knackered.
I feel old now.

J

Just Rizzle

not sure it would work on modern porcelain tiles but on stone and terracotta i would have no hessitation

J

jonnyc

found this video clip a while back with Mr Hobson..

its old school wall tiling using sand and cement..I laboured for my dad on Merchant Taylors school in Crosby during the summer holidays of 1984 and after that job, i decided tiling wasnt for me lol..All the shower areas were done in this method...Thank God for adhesives hey ;0)

anybody recognise or know the tiler in the video?
interersting . i just looked up merchant taylors crosby and it seems this school may preceed the merchant taylors in north london that my old school used to play in most sport formats. there must be some connection ?
as was the format , i followed due process in my chosen sport and became the secretary of sport on the squash and tennis front but the oddity to some was that at tender age of 17 i was given the authority to invite a new school to play us.

B

Blunt Tool

Before wedi boards, hardi backer boards, moisture resistant plasterboard shower walls were framed as normal, polythene cut and installed onto wooden framing, then wire lathe (like chicken wire) cut and installed. Sand and cement scratch coat, then sand and cement top coat left then floated up. Then left to dry for at least a week then BAL ctf powder adhesive mixed and 6inch by 6inch Pilkingtons Cristal tiles with lugs (no spacers) installed. Bit of cardboard from the tile boxes used to keep the level then BAL grout spread with handmade squegee, grout left to set then make a pointing stick run over grout lines to take off excess grout in joints then old rags to buff up tiles (wasn't allowed to wash grout back then) 3 sides of a 800x800 shower tray would take just about 2 weeks to do from start to finish!! Haha

J

jonnyc

Before wedi boards, hardi backer boards, moisture resistant plasterboard shower walls were framed as normal, polythene cut and installed onto wooden framing, then wire lathe (like chicken wire) cut and installed. Sand and cement scratch coat, then sand and cement top coat left then floated up. Then left to dry for at least a week then BAL ctf powder adhesive mixed and 6inch by 6inch Pilkingtons Cristal tiles with lugs (no spacers) installed. Bit of cardboard from the tile boxes used to keep the level then BAL grout spread with handmade squegee, grout left to set then make a pointing stick run over grout lines to take off excess grout in joints then old rags to buff up tiles (wasn't allowed to wash grout back then) 3 sides of a 800x800 shower tray would take just about 2 weeks to do from start to finish!

Reply to Wall Tiling - The sand & cement method in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen