Search the forum,

Discuss using silicone sealant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

len

Love to know what techniques people have come up with for leaving a clean tidy WIDE silicone joint. Sealant manufacturers tips are useless.Have taken a look on Search Engines but without success. Have seen the perfect job but so far unable to find the artist !

D

DHTiling

Try using a kit like this..........dave..

Silicone Set

silicone-set.jpg

Silicone smoothing rubber tools for all joint shapes

For creating perfect joints fast. Made from a soft rubber like material

An exceptional and unique set of tools of professional results

Set consists of:-

4 mm radius and 45 degree angle tool

7 mm radius and 45 degree angle tool

10 mm radius and 45 degree angle tool

storage case included

First apply your silicone in the normal way. Spray the whole area with a strong soapy solution (i.e. washing up liquid and water, (spray bottle available below) then use these tools to even up and form a perfect joint in seconds! Keeps silicone off your hands

L

len

Now thats an interesting tool kit....could help me lose weight!

Have you any idea just how many Magnum icecreams I have to eat through the summer to ensure a good supply of wooden spatulas to last through the winter.

R

ryanbrown

i put a tesco carrier bag on my hand - run my finger along the siliconed gap (after spraying with soapy water) and then collect the mound of silicone in the bag and then throw it at ememies lol.

E

enduro

I use on of those silicone sets, they are brilliant, wouldnt use anything else, using your finger looks crap.

R

ryanbrown

That depends how you use your finger surely.
Some silicone tools are shaped like a finger because its a good shape for most jobs.
----
wickes have a silicone spreading tool - its shaped like a steam rollered thumb.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

Try using a kit like this..........dave..

Silicone Set

silicone-set.jpg

Silicone smoothing rubber tools for all joint shapes

For creating perfect joints fast. Made from a soft rubber like material

An exceptional and unique set of tools of professional results

Set consists of:-

4 mm radius and 45 degree angle tool

7 mm radius and 45 degree angle tool

10 mm radius and 45 degree angle tool

storage case included

First apply your silicone in the normal way. Spray the whole area with a strong soapy solution (i.e. washing up liquid and water, (spray bottle available below) then use these tools to even up and form a perfect joint in seconds! Keeps silicone off your hands

Excactly the kit I use.............'kin brilliant!!!

Grumpy

G

guy1976

Love to know what techniques people have come up with for leaving a clean tidy WIDE silicone joint. Sealant manufacturers tips are useless.Have taken a look on Search Engines but without success. Have seen the perfect job but so far unable to find the artist !

if you cut the tiles correctly you wont need a wide silicone joint
practice is perfect keep plugging away

L

len

thing is I do want a wide joint in certain circumstances,such as bath edge. Silicone can only stretch 25% therefore the wider the joint the more flexibility. I have seen to many silicone joints parting company with bath and shower tray edge, usually on wooden floors

S

sc24

fill the bath with water before you silicone, and silicone bath/shower tray to wall before you tile

Reply to using silicone sealant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen