Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Unfilled Travertine? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Element

TF
Reaction score
I'm to do a job shortly where the travertine tiles are supplied but apparently they are unfilled... I haven't seen them yet. Given that I have only ever fitted 'filled' travertine I am somewhat daunted at the prospect of a large floor requiring a lot of multi size stone tiles which might all need filled before I can use them.. What do I fill them with? Can I just use grout? Its an electric UFH floor...
Thanks for your advice!

J

J Sid

After you have fitted ufh I would use Ditra uncoupling membrane then
Lay them as normal paying special attention to back buttering the stone and filling ALL voids. Some my come though to the face, don't worry, just wash off when laid
Once laid clean them and allow to dry completely.
Give one coat of sealer, allow to dry.
Grout, filling all joints and holes in tile, wash off.
Leave to dry for a copy of days and seal again. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

This is an un-filled travertine floor, finished with bees wax and polished,
In Parliament Square.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Element

TF
Reaction score
If the client purchased it that way, why would you fill it? Most folks just let the grout stay in the voids.

It's the issue of adhesive seeping through the voids when pressed down - I use grey addy & it will be a contrast issue; cleaning the addy coming through would be a pita..

I've laid plenty of travertine; but every one was already filled, at first I thought it was a mistake but the tiles are definitely unfilled; presumably cheaper...

O

Old Mod

It's the issue of adhesive seeping through the voids when pressed down - I use grey addy & it will be a contrast issue; cleaning the addy coming through would be a pita..

I've laid plenty of travertine; but every one was already filled, at first I thought it was a mistake but the tiles are definitely unfilled; presumably cheaper...
Certainly not cheaper, it's natural trav as opposed to the pressed crap.
U shouldn't be using grey addy with natural stone anyway, always white!!
Work clean, wash as u go, it's fine.

J

J Sid

You must always use white adhesive on travertine, unless its grey travertine.
White will clean of easily.
Unfilled travertine is normally a bit cheaper plus gives a different look when finished.

O

Old Mod

You must always use white adhesive on travertine, unless its grey travertine.
White will clean of easily.
Unfilled travertine is normally a bit cheaper plus gives a different look when finished.
Then we've had different experiences haha
That floor was 20mm thick and dear as hell! Haha

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Never had an issue with the thinset coming through, but I guess a very bad stone could be open enough for that to happen. I would use white as said earlier, and if you have a grout color already chosen, You could color your thinset in case you are a little sloppy on clean up and if it comes through a little.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
After you have fitted ufh I would use Ditra uncoupling membrane then
Lay them as normal paying special attention to back buttering the stone and filling ALL voids. Some my come though to the face, don't worry, just wash off when laid
Once laid clean them and allow to dry completely.
Give one coat of sealer, allow to dry.
Grout, filling all joints and holes in tile, wash off.
Leave to dry for a copy of days and seal again. :)
This is all you need to know! I couldn't tell you how much trav I've laid, we were getting through pallets and pallets of it every month a few years back and it's always laid to the exact method as detailed above.

Reply to Unfilled Travertine? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks