Search the forum,

Discuss Tips in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

geordie2013

Hi there new to the game. Did a kitchen took me two days. Encountered a few minor problems any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
  • Silicone. Any tips on profile tools. Cant get one used on nett as no wickes in Northern ireland.
  • Setting out was fine till i came to window had three sockets around it and cabinets 3 inches either side of window needless to say ended up with a few **** cuts. Where would be the best place to keep the good cuts.
  • Cant seem to get my grout consistency right. Adding a little bit of water at a time but still to runny so add more powder becomes to thick. And the cycle continues. Any tips.
Thanx any advice gratefull. Keep up the good work.

F

Fekin

1. Lay silicone with gun then smooth over with a wet finger keeping even presure all the way along.
Use water with some washing up liquid in, stops it sticking to your finger.

2. Every kitchens different with sockets and windows in different places.
If there was just one window, I would normally setout from the centerline under the window and work outwards if the window was the main view point of the room, and any sockets would just have to fall how they fall, but it all depends on tile type\size and a million other factors.

3. lol, just practise really.
Bal sell good mixing buckets with levels printed on them for their products, simply fill to the levels of whatever you are using if you are stuck.

N

necro777

welcome mate

1. Finger & washing up liquad solution for me

2. I just set out to give as best cuts i can and as central to the window as possible. Just takes a good eye to get it to look right

3. As fekin says just keep practise

H

Home Tiler

when i mix grout i usually make it so the thickness just about stays on the trowel..another tip when your near to your thickness then put less powder in.. it seems like your scooping a full trowel and placing it in...also try to remember the amount of water and scoops you put in your bucket each time you do it...that way you will find your perfect mixture next time..
remember when your silconing your cuts must be all evenly spaced ie 2 or 3 mm gaps...this way your silicone will always look even... any odd cuts and your silicone lines will look odd too...
i find using your finger is the best way for good results and soapy water..you can place the right pressure then when your finger is full wipe it off on cardboard and start again...also make sure your nozzle isn't cut to big of an angle ..hope this helps abit geordie2013.
steve

B

brian c

Hi there new to the game. Did a kitchen took me two days. Encountered a few minor problems any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
  • Silicone. Any tips on profile tools. Cant get one used on nett as no wickes in Northern ireland.
  • Setting out was fine till i came to window had three sockets around it and cabinets 3 inches either side of window needless to say ended up with a few **** cuts. Where would be the best place to keep the good cuts.
  • Cant seem to get my grout consistency right. Adding a little bit of water at a time but still to runny so add more powder becomes to thick. And the cycle continues. Any tips.
Thanx any advice gratefull. Keep up the good work.
1. b&q sell plasplugs profile gauges.

2.try setting out with a staff marked out with size of tile on it and adjust accordinly,ensuring good cuts at both sides.

3.put tiny,tiny amount of water in bucket and blend in grout powder until it becomes thick consistency.

Reply to Tips in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen