Search the forum,

Discuss Tips on using an angle grinder in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

dg-1984

TF
Glasgow
as I do it and find it so much easier. Just let the blade do the work with little force from you pulling

Can I ask what angle do you have the guard? Do you look at the cutting line from behind the blade or Infront?
Reason I ask was I found I was leaning over to try see the line from above and front but thought must be an easier way to see it.

Andyman

TF
Wales
No guard is utter madness! Why risk it? Proper impact rated safety glasses might save your eyes, but what about the rest of you? How about your neck? Arteries?
The guard is needed to stop broken disc fragments aiming for you!
I had a 225mm 9 inch metal cutting disc shatter in front of my face last year. I had safety glasses and helmet on, first time all day I forgot to put dust mask on and ended up with nose and lip cut to crap.
Glasses saved my eyes that day.
Leave the guard off and soory to say your a ****

O

One Day

Thanks for the replys, I would keep the guard on for safety.
If the disc is on the left and you are slowly pulling is the blade not cutting upwards and causes porential chips?

I never cut in one pass. Usually back and forth a couple of times just shy of the final cut line, but last cut is pulled towards me.
I use a makita variable and CK850 akkumax usually.
No chips.

dg-1984

TF
Glasgow
I never cut in one pass. Usually back and forth a couple of times just shy of the final cut line, but last cut is pulled towards me.
I use a makita variable and CK850 akkumax usually.
No chips.
Ok thanks I have a few tiles to practice on so will try both cutting blade on left and right. Like the idea of dust etc flying away from me rather than at me to be honest.
Just found it a little awkward to see the cut line with the guard on, may need to try adjust it a few different ways.

O

Old Mod

I have my blade on the left and pull cut gently.
I can see the line and cuts are fine.

83983597-8E09-4FF7-AFB3-4643EEBFFE6A.jpeg

O

Old Mod

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm actually being really thick here. It is totally possible I guess!
OK, I start by lightly scoring my line with the blade, probably .5mm then I'll work up and down that line on the waste side to about half way through. Final cut I'll pull the grinder towards me.
Hey, maybe wrong but it works for me!
Not about being wrong Mark, nothings wrong if it works is it.
So you actually cut thro glaze in direction of blade rotation then?
I just didn’t read it that way initially mate, that’s all.
Apologies.

I do find personally tho, if I just try to cut .5 mm initially, I tend to do more damage.
I’m sure that probably says more about me than the technique. :p

dg-1984

TF
Glasgow
Thanks for all the replys. How are you clamping the tiles to the work bench, what clamps you using?
Any pics of setups then please post.
Been doing a little cutting today and so far blade on right and pulling towards me feels more comfortable.
Also the diamond polishing pads are brilliant for cleaning up the tile edges, just bought a 50 and 200 grit off eBay and very good.

O

One Day

Not about being wrong Mark, nothings wrong if it works is it.
So you actually cut thro glaze in direction of blade rotation then?
I just didn’t read it that way initially mate, that’s all.
Apologies.

I do find personally tho, if I just try to cut .5 mm initially, I tend to do more damage.
I’m sure that probably says more about me than the technique. :p

I almost always score the line first if I need a very clean cut, then stay away from the score line until last pass.
I've honestly not noticed any difference in cut quality whichever way I cut, but perhaps that's the blades I use more than me?
I know when I tried flipping my grinder I couldn't steer it at all, being right handed.

O

Old Mod

I almost always score the line first if I need a very clean cut, then stay away from the score line until last pass.
I've honestly not noticed any difference in cut quality whichever way I cut, but perhaps that's the blades I use more than me?
I know when I tried flipping my grinder I couldn't steer it at all, being right handed.

I think what would be interesting would be a joint project, shame it’s unlikely.

O

Old Mod

Saw a tip on insta other day..on an L cut scribe score both lines then go in with grinder from the waste corner to corner where both scores meet and snap the two pieces independently on scribe cutter.. Yet to try it but sounds like it would work..
It does Andy. Think I might struggle tho. :D
I might be tempted to drill corner first tho, even with regular stuff.

Reply to Tips on using an angle grinder in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement