Search the forum,

Discuss Tips For Cutting Diagonaly in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

ageless

After my wet tray thread, i thought id post this here instead of this post getting lost in other thread and not getting replied to.

Im going to be using large tiles in my wet area, maybe bigger than the 300x300 tiles already on the floor. What i want to know, can you give me any tips before i start cutting the tiles in the morning. I have hired out a large score tile cutter, its a big blueish/silver tile cutter and have a lend of a small black wet cutter. When setting the tiles on tray to mark, before marking do i kind of slope them or will i use something underneath to keep them a true flat for marking my diagonal. Should i use the wet cutter or scored type.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
If you use the wet cutter, go 10mm in one end, then swap and cut from the other. That's stops the last bit from shearing off which is what can happen if you go all the way from one end.

On a dry cutter, just score once and don't press on too hard. It does need some pressure but it isn't the scoring that's doing the cutting. It's the breaking bit that does it, and it does it best with one neat score.

Watch some YouTube videos maybe to get the gist.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Reaction score
Technique on a snap cutter depends on the type of breaker head , some as Dan says is amply a pressure snap and others is a sharp shock snap , it's a combo of tile type and the particular cutter .

A

ageless

Just used the wet cutter and happy with the result but if a pro had a look at it, he'd probably want me shot

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Using the wet cutter gives you the advantage of having a blades width off the tiles to allow you jiggle and wedge as you fit them . As for marking , flat or slope shouldnt give you that much of a problem , but I would cut your L shapes round the drain first , then do the envelope cutting.

Diggy

Reply to Tips For Cutting Diagonaly in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm refitting our bathroom which is about 3m sq and am putting in a wetroom shower in the corner...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen