Discuss Tiling Tools Starter Kit in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Derry

its an impressive list but how much do you reckon one should put asside for purchase of tools?
I'll be starting up on my own next year so purchasing all my tools from scratch but to be honest on reading that I could need anything from £250 - £2,500....

how much do you reckon a starter would need to spend so that all of the essentials are covered and a little bit more?

just trying to work out my budget thats all!

Patrick

O

Olz

Buy as you go IMO mate, no point in humping a van full of stuff about that's never seenlight of day, get the basic's you need then buy other stuff as the job dictates, no point in buying a drill and a set of diamond bits if your first lot of jobs have no holes to drill if you get my drift.

W

White Room

Buy as you go IMO mate, no point in humping a van full of stuff about that's never seenlight of day, get the basic's you need then buy other stuff as the job dictates, no point in buying a drill and a set of diamond bits if your first lot of jobs have no holes to drill if you get my drift.

Sooooooooooo right, My problem is that if I have,nt got the tools in the van I think I,ll end up needing them.:thumbsup:

C

cornish_crofter

I use those silicone sealant profiles, as I can't seem to get the hang with my finger.

IIRC there was a kit that you could get in Focus and the like that had some ptfe coated profiles in plus a special sealant knife - I think JML did it. I bought it for a tenner and it has been absolutely brilliant. The knife is specially designed for cutting out old seals between baths/showers and tiles - it has a V shaped blade.

I have been using the profiles ever since.

I also keep a supply of new silicone nozzels. I accumulate them if I use 2 or 3 tubes of the stuff in quick succession and don't need to cut new nozzels I just change the existing nozzel onto the new tube.

Also, don't forget the sealant gun. :thumbsup:

I have a cheap rotating laser level. I suspect I'll be using it for a job I've got coming up next week. All 4 walls are to be tiled and I want to use it to get a horizontal datum. You don't have to spend a fortune on one of these. All you do is level it up to a known height, say the height of the bath, drawing a line from the bath with a normal level will help. Then mark where the light hits other parts of the walls and recheck them with a normal level.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cornish_crofter

Thanks. I'd keep a pipe/cable detector in the van. Also a basic first aid kit (O.K. I'm a bit off track with this one).

I do plumbing as well so I've got the necessary to fix any leaks that may appear ;)

L

LJB Tiling

Not a tool for tiling but on my shopping list of things needed im having to buy a satnav to find where customers live.

Anybody got any idea's of a good 1 to get?

Reply to Tiling Tools Starter Kit in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks