Discuss Tiling Over Waterproof Paint in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

dundeetiler

Got a kitchen to tile that's had 2 different layers of paint on the plasterboard. 1st layer is that heavy waterproof paint and the 2nd layer is just an awful yellow. Tried to sand it back a bit but it's proving a nightmare. Debating whether to keep going with it or just score it with a blade since sandpaper and wire brushes are failing.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
If you score through the plasterboard paper you take the strength away, apparently.

Do the paint test. Stick some duct tape on it for a hour, then rip it of (do it in a few different places) - If nothing comes off, you can tile it. I think. Is that right lads?

O

On one

If you score through the plasterboard paper you take the strength away, apparently.

Do the paint test. Stick some duct tape on it for a hour, then rip it of (do it in a few different places) - If nothing comes off, you can tile it. I think. Is that right lads?
Depends on the quality of the adhesive on the tape?

F

Flintstone

On a kitchen splashback I often give it a good scoring up if it's painted skim and the paint is well on there, then prime it and tile. Different story in a bathroom

D

dundeetiler

I done the tape test beforehand with decent gaffa tape and not a drop of paint came off. Just a little uneasy with it being thick waterproof stuff.

Just the drylined. It was a new-build about 20 bloody year ago that's just been painted over a few times.

I'll just score the paint in the usual crisscross and pray it doesn't take the paper off the plasterboard.
Cheers guys!

Reply to Tiling Over Waterproof Paint in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks