Discuss Tiling over old pipe in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Old gas fireplace insert getting tiled. Hoping to get an electric stove in there, but tight on space. Plasterer knew this, so didn’t go out the extra cm(ish) and said we can tile over it with a bit thicker adhesive and it should be fine.
Finally got around to tiling and didn’t realise it stuck out so far and protrudes a mm or 2 more than the tile thickness.
Partner just wants to notch out the tile so pipe is still visible as it’s the easiest option but I think it’ll look rubbish. To just tile over it, we’ll end up with a very obvious bulge.
Any thoughts on how we tile this? Can you carve out the back of a tile?

Reaction score
Photos for reference as to what the hell I'm on about…

Attachments

• IMG_3880.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3881.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
The question is. Is it live does it have gas in it.

A. No Gas. Just chisel out back of pipe an hit it the pipe flat with a hammer.

B. Yes gas . Is it end of a run if yes chisel out wall and get plumber to cap it push it into wall.

C yes gas . It supplies another area chase out wall , and get plumber to alter pipe work.

The pipe that's there doesn't look in the best of health cement reacts with copper. If the bits in wall aren't protected it may be about to perish anyway.

Options are yours as it's your house , do it properly and safely or bodge it you have to live with.

Reply to Tiling over old pipe in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks