Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling over existing tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Rived36

TF
Reaction score
hi guys,
Im about to start a bathroom refurb next week and the customer would like me to tile over the old tiles ?
Id rather rip out but she's having none of it,
Is there anything i need to do prep wise or any special adhesives i should use?
Thanks in advance

F

Flintstone

Is this walls or floor? What tiles are to go on and what tiles are on there at the min

F

Flintstone

You need to make a slurry coat. Easier to buy a ready made none porous surface primer. Personally I wouldn't tile over tile on a wall as they could have been stuck on with chewing gum over wall paper

L

LM

The first thing you need to establish is what sub base the original tiles are installed to.
Can the original substrate support the additional weight of another layer of tiles and adhesive?
This is the first and most important question!

J

Just Rizzle

how long have the old tiles been on. old addys only last about 10 yrs
you will be relying on old adhesive holding the original tiles as well as the weight of the new tiles adhesive and grout.
i would walk away. my way or no way

Reply to Tiling over existing tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks