Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling over bathroom paint in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
I'm about to start tiling my bathroom and was wondering if is there some sort of self etching primer available for priming glossy bathroom paint before tiling?

The bathroom was previously tiled 1/2 way up

20211107_122830.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You could do with going over it all with a sander, then acrylic primer, then cement-based adhesive.

What's the wall like under that? Is it brick or plasterboard or what? Don't suppose you know? As weight comes into it if it's brick then render then plaster - it's actually weaker than plasterboard, then tile.

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've been helping a mate do his ensuite and two walls are in bathroom paint. I flat backed the wall with cement adhesive then spread the back of a bit of tile and stuck it on. We had to use a chisel and hammer to get it off. It took the paint with it but not without a fight. Nobody wants to give a clear answer other than sanding it off which is a mammoth task. I'm not convinced priming bathroom paint even helps.

Reaction score
I've been helping a mate do his ensuite and two walls are in bathroom paint. I flat backed the wall with cement adhesive then spread the back of a bit of tile and stuck it on. We had to use a chisel and hammer to get it off. It took the paint with it but not without a fight. Nobody wants to give a clear answer other than sanding it off which is a mammoth task. I'm not convinced priming bathroom paint even helps.

Thank you! I'll try this. If the adhesive sticks like yours did I'll, just score it up with a Stanley knife for a little extra assurance.

Reply to Tiling over bathroom paint in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen