Currently reading:
Tiling over a wooden floor

Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling over a wooden floor in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

Joana

Hi guys, I am new to this forum .Me and my partner Ian are renovating a property currently and have some questions about tiling as we are trying to do this between us. The make up of the floor is as follows : dpm / cement / 40-50 cm gap (not much crawling space at the solumn of the house!) / floor joist at about 50 cm centers / treated wooden floors all over the house , 2 cm thick, t&g. We have used hardie backing board of 6 mm directly on the wooden floors. Ian used torque screws. I was hoping that the backing board and screws will stiffen the structure of the floor but no such luck. I can see the floors moving/bending slightly when Ian walks over the hardie board. Should I use ultra or extra flexible tile adhesive in this case ? What would you recommend for such a floor ? I would not like to take a chance, go ahead and tile, and find later that I've used the wrong product. Thanks . Joana

J

Joana

The floor joists are running through the house but they are partly independent from the concrete they run through the brick walls 50 cm above the concrete. Here and there the joists are supported by a small brick wall , non load bearing , rising from concrete to just under the wooden floors. Of course I punctured some of these small walls only between the joists to create passages for crawling in below, for insulation, Plummer work and future inspections.

B

Bill

The floor joists are running through the house but they are partly independent from the concrete they run through the brick walls 50 cm above the concrete. Here and there the joists are supported by a small brick wall , non load bearing , rising from concrete to just under the wooden floors. Of course I punctured some of these small walls only between the joists to create passages for crawling in below, for insulation, Plummer work and future inspections.
Yes, but if the joists are bouncing when walked on then you should have supported them better. Another way is to add thicker layers ontop of the T&G flooring but that could still be a problem.

J

Joana

I understand that. The floors themselves are reasonably solid, not a problem. It's the joists that seem to make the floor a bit bouncy. If we tile on these floors with hardie board , will it crack eventually ? Underfloor reinforcement for the joists would be almost impossible as there is very little space and what we have is already required for a 4" waste pipe through the floors , pipe work, insulation , inspection hatches and so on.

Reply to Tiling over a wooden floor in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are tiling our kitchen with limestone tiles - we have already done it in the hallway and are carryin on through - The Hallway was floorboards so I used No more ply and this worked fine -...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement