Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling over 25mm edge insulation at door threshold in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

smallholder

I have a hot water underfloor heated anhydrite screed that is about to be tiled with 16mm thick travertine using a GBTA adhesive.

I was wondering how to tile the at the tri-fold door threshold. From the outside there is the sill, then a 125mm block then 25mm of cellotex and 10mm edge expansion insulation before getting to the screed. They are all at the same height.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

S

SJPurdy

As I read it you could tile the floor and the bit ontop of the block separately and separated by a movement joint. The unsuported movement joint width in the floor is 35mm which is very wide and will look like something in a supermarket floor - the ones i've just looked up in the schluter catalogue are available in 30 or 20mm wheras the ones i would generally use in a domestic flor are 10mm wide. If you used the narrower 10mm wide one (or for that matter the 20mm wide one) then the edge of the tiles next to the joint will be unsuported and even with 16mm thick trav could break under loading. An alternative would be to use something like a wood threshold strip that covers (fixed to) the block and say 25mm of the gap so that the main floor could then be tiled with a10mm movement joint (flexible sealant) up to the wood.

S

smallholder

Many thanks for your response. I now have to persuade my wife that she would like a nice oak threshold strip! or could I perhaps use travertine for use outside which is 20mm thick or will this still not be strong enough?

S

smallholder

Many thanks for your response. I now have to persuade my wife that she would like a nice oak threshold strip! or could I perhaps use travertine for use outside which is 20mm thick or will this still not be strong enough?

Reply to Tiling over 25mm edge insulation at door threshold in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen