Currently reading:
Tiling over 22mm T&G chipboard

Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling over 22mm T&G chipboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mark1979

Hi,

I'm currently renovating and my next job is tiling. I have new T&G 22mm chipboard screwed down in the new living room extension on joists well above specification so it shouldn't move but it is chipboard so it might in time. I've now decided to install quartz tiles...

My understanding having taken a lot of advice is that I need to:

- prime the chipboard (with something like BAL Prime APD)

- Install hardi backer 6mm on a layer of 2 part flexible adhesive (no water) with 6mm trowel and screw down (taping edges per manufacturer instructions and staggering boards so joints don't meet)

- install tiles using a 2 part flexible adhesive (6mm trowel) per above

- use flexible grout (or epoxy grout)

I'd appreciate any comments you may have and also your suggestions for the 2 part flexible adhesive and grout/epoxy grout to use. Once it's done it'll be down 20 years so don't want to skimp or miss something and cause a later problem.

thanks in advance

M

Mark1979

Personally speaking I’d opt for Schluter Ditra 25 uncoupling membrane stuck down to the chipboard with Ardex AF200 and then lay the tiles with a minimum C2 adhesive.
What are the dimensions of the area, have you considered expansion joints?

Hi Lee Mack, thanks for your comment.

The topic of expansion joints did come up at the start and I think we got to not needing them but I cant remember the detail of the discussion. The area is approximately 7 meters by 6 meters and I think I was told that I'd only need them if it was 8 meters in any direction. Does that sound right to you?

Regards,

Mark

L

LM

Hi Lee Mack, thanks for your comment.

The topic of expansion joints did come up at the start and I think we got to not needing them but I cant remember the detail of the discussion. The area is approximately 7 meters by 6 meters and I think I was told that I'd only need them if it was 8 meters in any direction. Does that sound right to you?

Regards,

Mark
I don’t know how but I’ve just realised that it’s a Quartz tile you’re fitting, don’t know how I missed that in the title at first :eek: Do what @Local has suggested.

McLovin

TF
Kent
You could use it over Chipboard if you wanted. I personally would not. Its more work that standard adhesive. 22mm chip board should be fine in my opinion. However personally I don't ever like tiling over chipboard.

I would use a good flexable adhesive under the Backer board and then Tile master S2 to fix the quartz.

Id let the boards dry over night before you start to install the Quartz.

M

Mark1979

You could use it over Chipboard if you wanted. I personally would not. Its more work that standard adhesive. 22mm chip board should be fine in my opinion. However personally I don't ever like tiling over chipboard.

I would use a good flexable adhesive under the Backer board and then Tile master S2 to fix the quartz.

Id let the boards dry over night before you start to install the Quartz.
Thanks, so under the backer board what would you use?

R

Rookery

So you want to fix big expensive quartz tiles onto a suspended unheated timber floor measuring about 7.0 x 6.0. Is that right? My method would be to:
1. Screw timber floor boards to joists.
2. Overlay timber floor with 6mm Hardie backer board.
3. Fix Hardie with appropriate screws and rapid set flexible adhesive.
4. Fix Ditra matting to Hardie with appropriate adhesive.
5. Tile away following manufacturers advice especially following grout size etc but I would imagine minimum 5mm joint. I would expect to see a similar movement joints too - both perimeter and intermediate ones. This is an expensive product so no short measures. Back skim every tile and set in with min 15mm notched trowel.

Of course others may disagree .......

M

Mark1979

So you want to fix big expensive quartz tiles onto a suspended unheated timber floor measuring about 7.0 x 6.0. Is that right? My method would be to:
1. Screw timber floor boards to joists.
2. Overlay timber floor with 6mm Hardie backer board.
3. Fix Hardie with appropriate screws and rapid set flexible adhesive.
4. Fix Ditra matting to Hardie with appropriate adhesive.
5. Tile away following manufacturers advice especially following grout size etc but I would imagine minimum 5mm joint. I would expect to see a similar movement joints too - both perimeter and intermediate ones. This is an expensive product so no short measures. Back skim every tile and set in with min 15mm notched trowel.

Of course others may disagree .......
Thanks Rookery, interesting you mention back skimming, I used to think it was overkill as pushing down would fill voids without but watched a utube demo on various substrates that convinced me of the merits of covering the back of the tile - much stronger bond - some of the non buttered ones could just be popped whole a week later. I presume you just cover the back of the tile to eliminate voids rather than using the notched bit of the trowel on the tiles like you do for the floor?

In terms of Ditra over the top of Hardie, would that have any material benefit. I initially chose the Hardie route because it was suggested you get a much better bond than with the Ditra and wouldnt the flexible adhesive under the Hardie be doing the same decoupling job that the Ditra is doing?

M

Mark1979

Try Nicobond plastic ply, it's the future!
Hi, I've just googled it and am no expert so please ignore my ignorance, but I'm struggling to understand how this works if everything I've been told about Ditra/Hardie method is correct. How is it better then just tiling on chipboard as surely the plastic mesh just transfers any movement from the wood to the tile?

M

Mark1979

Schlüter®-DITRA 25 | Function | Schlüter-Systems - http://www.schluter.co.uk/ditra-25.aspx

Have a read through this and hopefully it will help. It explains how the Ditra separates the movement from the substrate and the tiles.
Thanks Lee Mac, sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear, I do understand the logic of the Ditra and Hardie, it's the logic of the plastic ply I'm struggling with. I just dont see how it's any better than just using thicker adhesive on chipboard as the adhesive fills the mesh.

Reply to Tiling over 22mm T&G chipboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement