Discuss Tiling on a painted plasterboard. HELP in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Stavs tiles

Hi guys,

Hope you can help on this.

On a painted plasterboard can you tile directly on this?

I was thinking of scribingthe wall with a Stanleyknife every 2 inches so the adhesive has something to grip on, then rough sanding it and then cleaning it and using BAL Acrylic primer?

Or can I just tile over the paint providing the paint is not flaking off?

Any tips would be great. Just want a good strong bond. I will be using BAL rapid set adhesive.

Cheers
Stav

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
What's it been painted with? I definitely wouldn't scribe it, you'll irreparably weaken the structure of the boards. Try sanding it back. Could you over board it or cut it out and replace?

S

Stavs tiles

Hi Rich, it's white emulsion paint.

Don't really want to board it again. It's a new build flat only 3 years old, so was hoping if I primed it up with acrylic it would give the adhesive something to grip to?

Attached are some pics of bathroom, the white small Ines will be removed.

Thanks

IMG_6555.JPG IMG_6556.JPG

W

WetSaw

If those tiles have been put on properly you'll probably be replacing the plasterboard anyway.
What tiles are you putting up and are you tiling the whole wall?

S

Stavs tiles

Thanks guys, hoping the small tiles will come off ok, if not will have to reboard. I'm using 600x300 ceramic Matt tiles. Using BAL rapid set adhesive.

My main worry is just want the tiles to be bonded secure on the current wall :0

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'd sand, clean then prime. Prime first with a quite a dilute mix so it absorbs right through the paint say a 5:1 mix then when that's dry go over again with a 3:1.

S

Stavs tiles

Thank you so much Rich, really appreciate your help :)

Will be using the BAL prime APD this is Acrylic based.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Not been a Bal user for years so can't feel I can comment on their primer. If you do call Bal technical tomorrow I can't imagine they'd advise anything other than replace or overboard, which is realistically what a pro would/should do. As mentioned earlier, see how you get on taking the existing tiles off. Chances are they're pulling the board with them.

S

Stavs tiles

Just thinking guys and sorry to open this up. What would the scenario be with a painted wall not plasterboard.

Image getting the paint off and scraping/sanding down is just the better option with this as well....

L

LM

BAL technical told me in the past to apply a piece of high quality sellotape to the wall and rub on firmly, leave it for ten minutes and then remove it, if the tape pulls the paint off then you can't tile on it, if not then it should be fine providing you don't exceed the weight limits for plasterboard.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Didn't think the tape test applied to emulsion paint though Lee? Thought it was only to be used on gloss and the like. My understanding was that emulsion could start to break down when wetted so shouldn't really be tiled on.

Reply to Tiling on a painted plasterboard. HELP in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks