Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Exterior Porch Area Walls in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gordybaillie

Good Morning

I have a job where the customer would like their exterior porch area walls tiled. The walls I guess are not directly exposed to the elements although the Porch area is open (no door as its a sheltered area at the front door).
The walls are painted render and I am looking for help on the preparation of these:
- Should I fit hardiebacker first?
- Scrap off paint to leave a surface the adhesive is able to bond to?
- ?

Thanks in advance for any help! - not got any pics to help you visualise im afraid.

H

hmtiling

Then prime and tile with a decent powder addy that's suitable for exterior work

T

Time's Ran Out

Although every surface has to be judged separately , you don't want to seal the render as it still has to breathe, so choice of primer; if any, is important.
IMHO.

H

hmtiling

Unlike lime render I didn't realise that was the case with s&c.
Would the paint not have sealed it anyway?

B

Bill

Why would you NEED to prime if back to the render? Never primed render and done tons of exterior stuff.

Sometimes things get overcomplicated.

H

hmtiling

Why would you NEED to prime if back to the render? Never primed render and done tons of exterior stuff.
To improve bond strength and regulate porosity which on a weak mix render I would do.
That's the first time I've heard priming referred to as complicated ;)
Sometimes things get overcomplicated.

G

gordybaillie

Looking to start this job today and I am going to use Mapei Mapeker Rapid Set which I have never used before but seems to get good reviews.

Anyone recommend a good primer or do I not really need to prime the area?

Thanks!

H

hmtiling

Looking to start this job today and I am going to use Mapei Mapeker Rapid Set which I have never used before but seems to get good reviews.

Anyone recommend a good primer or do I not really need to prime the area?

Thanks!
It should say on the back of the bag whether to prime and at what ratio to water. They'll recommend a Mapei one which is best practice imho.
I wouldn't be using rapid set unless you're used to using it.

Reply to Tiling Exterior Porch Area Walls in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen