Search the forum,

Discuss tile fixing to stud wall query in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

hello all,
I am having an ensuite room built and want it tiled all over. one of the walls will be a stud wall which I want to have wood covered so as to have good fixing for cupboards etc.
My questions are:

1) I thought of using thick plywood which I thought will need waterproof protection, is this the best idea?

2)If I douse as above will ceramic tiles stick well to plywood or would I need to have it covered with plasterboard and then waterproofed?

Any advise please.

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
LEYLAND
Though ply-board has been excluded from BS5385 it has been used for many many years with success when the correct grade was used. Is it not strange that two months ago we could fix to ply now we can't. Same adhesives out there still with "suitable to fix tiles to ply-wood" whats changed. If you have Flooring Grade or Class 3 ply-wood only, then tanking is the way to protect it.

W

Waluigi

I don’t tile Ply wood anymore but absolutely agree that it’s sticks really well to a good quality thick veneered board.

As you can see:tearsofjoy:

B2C36477-3293-47D1-B125-29C35EACF9DD.jpeg

Too risky these days and the only board really suitable are SP101 and FG1 ply

D

Dumbo

Though ply-board has been excluded from BS5385 it has been used for many many years with success when the correct grade was used. Is it not strange that two months ago we could fix to ply now we can't. Same adhesives out there still with "suitable to fix tiles to ply-wood" whats changed. If you have Flooring Grade or Class 3 ply-wood only, then tanking is the way to protect it.
Answer to your question bal now make backer boards so of course its changed.

Reply to tile fixing to stud wall query in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few ways to fix tile to bathroom walls. First you need to prepare the walls for tiling. Note that...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement