Discuss Thoughts on CTD prices & redundancies? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Just wondered what people’s thoughts are on CTD sacking loads of people and going after retail rather than trade customers?

I used to pay 20 plus vat for a 10kg grout, they now want 35+! It’s absolutely mental!

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Retail is generally cash with purchase so no credit exposure. Trade accounts generally pay after 30 days or so. Housebuilding, which i guess takes up most if the tiling work, has dropped off a cliff over the last few months so I'd guess they are trying to protect themselves from trade customers going bust.

Reaction score
Trade accounts , like persimmons etc are big money for them. Can’t see them going retail only tbh. Where did you hear this if you don’t mind me asking ?
I’ve heard it from my local store… they have made 2 guys redundant there, shutting down 2 hubs in the midlands, laying off loads of staff which will come into effect next month. Delivery vans being shared between stores, prices drastically rising

It’s a real shame as it’s my go to for gear. I feel sorry for the lads on in the shop as half of them are up sh!t creek and the rest of them will be running with a skeleton crew.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I’ve heard it from my local store… they have made 2 guys redundant there, shutting down 2 hubs in the midlands, laying off loads of staff which will come into effect next month. Delivery vans being shared between stores, prices drastically rising

It’s a real shame as it’s my go to for gear. I feel sorry for the lads on in the shop as half of them are up sh!t creek and the rest of them will be running with a skeleton crew.
I have certainly see prices go up stupidly. Like a weber tanking kit , £58 last yr to just over £100 now.

J

Justiling

Iv heard its true from the manger at CTD. Also the prices have gone up massively on selected items! But you shouldn't be paying the amount on mapei grout, it's £20 in screwfix and CTD have to price match it well they do in my store.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Cement and polymer prices skyrocketed last year which is partly why prices have gone up so much.

bsc ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
thats the word in my local ctd as well. truing to out the trade guys
gone from 4 staff to 2 full time girls and one guy on 10 hours a week.

Reaction score
It’s a shame, the moment CTD got requisitioned by that investment company, it all went to sh!t.

I know Polymer and materials have gone up… but it’s not like the great covid plaster shortage… other trade centres are still competitive.

Oh and get this… I asked if my guys could price match a few tubes of silicon, they had to email their area manager for confirmation. Who is hanging around 40 minutes to get an email confirmation to save £3?

Done with that place

Reaction score
Trade accounts , like persimmons etc are big money for them. Can’t see them going retail only tbh. Where did you hear this if you don’t mind me asking ?
They are going full e-commerce and online from feb 2024 for contractors. Stores will be full retail a-la-topps, house bashers will have to go through architectural and reps.

You won’t be able to walk into a store as a developer and get any kind of deal… you can’t even get a deal as a loyal trader.

Reaction score
P
Iv heard its true from the manger at CTD. Also the prices have gone up massively on selected items! But you shouldn't be paying the amount on mapei grout, it's £20 in screwfix and CTD have to price match it well they do in my store.
Price matching is going out of the window, they are adopting the kingfisher/b&q business plan.

“Spend X amount with us and receive X discount”

I only used CTD, partly because of local convenience. mostly from having a coffee and chat with the lads… that is all gone from September boys.

Reaction score
I use 3 CTD’s in my surrounding area and have good relationships with the staff.. between chatting with them and squeezing information from reps, I can confirm that CTD is no longer as we know it.

Loads of people are getting laid off next month and the prices are skyrocketing…!the company that bought them out also got a bunch of tile giants while they were going under, so it looks like they are expanding with less staff.

Price match issues are also a thing now… staff’s hands are tied.

This place is going down the toilet

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
They are going full e-commerce and online from feb 2024 for contractors. Stores will be full retail a-la-topps, house bashers will have to go through architectural and reps.

You won’t be able to walk into a store as a developer and get any kind of deal… you can’t even get a deal as a loyal trader.
Wow 😮. Haven’t they been bought out as well.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

In my experience, CTD usually offers competitive prices for tiles and related products. However, I always compare their prices with other suppliers to ensure I'm getting the best deal.

As for redundancies, if CTD is going through a period of staff reductions, I bet it might be due to business restructuring or economic challenges. However, I stay updated on the situation only through official announcements from the company.

Cheers,
Emma

Reply to Thoughts on CTD prices & redundancies? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks