Discuss Substrate for shower area in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Grime

Hi - I'd be grateful for advice. I'm doing a shower area due to a leak and tile failure. One of the walls is made of plasterboard which has gone rotten, so I'm in the process of ripping it out. It seems that wall is comprised of 3 layers of plasterboard (one of which I'm removing) and I can't see any timber studs. The layer I'm removing seems to have been installed using dabbed tile adhesive and some screws.

My question is what should I do re a new substrate? I had planned to use 12mm Hardie and then tank it, but without timber studs that won't be possible.

I think my options are I get some timber and build a frame over the 2nd layer of plasterboard, or possibly install a new layer of plasterboard. Neither option feels right buy I don't want completely tear down that wall. What would you do in this situation?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

F

Flintstone

Strip it all back to the stud work, or the solid wall and go from there. Scrap the hardie, just use a waterproof board instead

O

Old Mod

I think you may find there is no studwork. The wall is possibly self supporting and only fitted with wall and floor plates effectively.
Can't remember what type of system this is but I've read threads on it.

B

Blunt Tool

I think you may find there is no studwork. The wall is possibly self supporting and only fitted with wall and floor plates effectively.
Can't remember what type of system this is but I've read threads on it.
Plyplaster?

M

Matt Bott

ok i came across this in a bathroom and as the plumber stripped tiles he ripped the outside part of the wall with it so you could see the stairs through the wall ball ache

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There are loads of houses here with this wall construction. There is no stud, it will be a 1 inch plasterboard, secured top and bottom with battons then 12.5 mm pb dot and dab either side, you can re fit dot and dab pb then tank, or build a stud framework and install whateverboard you want.

D

Drainage by Design

Scrap the hardie, just use a waterproof board instead

Whilst I'm no fan of plasterboard (or plywood) in wet areas. the plasterboard MAY be a component in fire compartmentalisation.
"Waterproof board" usually implies foam core 'tilebacker' material.
However, Grime is going to put tanking on the substrate under the wall finish.
THAT is the layer that is the key to a longlasting and non-leaking wetroom.
Or as I put it to people "make sure you build just the one wetroom - don't include the room below".
Plasterboard can be OK .If the tanking is done properly. II's very cheap and easy to use.
Hardieboard doesn't react so much to water leaks.
But make sure there are no water leaks ......

G

Grime

Thanks to all of you for your comments. The customer has agreed to get a chippie to build a timber frame.

Thanks.

Reply to Substrate for shower area in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks