Discuss strangest callouts? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
wondered what the strangest jobs you have been called out to quote on are?

must be some good stories out there:lol:

iv had 2 odd ones so far first was for a woman who wanted me to measure inside all her kitchen units and line them with chequered lino:yikes:

and another who asked me to go and do 10 cuts for her as she had tiled her fireplace herself( complete horror story):lol: and didnt have a tile cutter......she had actually smashed tiles with a hammer to fit them in behond some pipe work.:yikes:

R

Rob Z

Hi Kilty

One crazy one from this past fall was a call from a lady that wanted a price for a complete bathroom remodel. As I asked her various questions about what she wanted done, she answered almost every question with "I don't know about that yet". She couldn't tell me what she wanted in terms of tile, fixtures, plumbing, etc. and the most specific she got was when I asked her about the new vanity "I just want something nice but not expensive" she told me.:mad2:

When I told her that there was no way that I could price anything for her without some decisions on her part about what she wanted, she told me that I wasn't "working well for her, and that I was just like all the other contractors that thought they were too good for her". :lol:

I told her that no, I wasn't working well for her because she HADN'T HIRED ME YET, but it seemed that the subtle sarcasm was lost on her. :prrr:

W

White Room

This was for re-skim, went round to the house. It was the living room, holes punched into the dry linned walls and dried blood on the ceiling:yikes:

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Had a bathroom job a few years ago.......finished up. Tools in van.

Then she asked me why I hadn't tiled "INSIDE" her airing cupboard:mad2:

She actually had me tile it as well :yikes:

T

Time's Ran Out

When an Intenational Garden Festival was on locally they took over a small housing estate and turned the houses into themed areas.
I was asked to fix some tiles to a 'craft house' - arty farty types which included a bloke in womens clothes!
When I arrived on site to tile a splashback around a bath, some 'talented' artist had taken a number of flat roof tiles and painted a pattern of sorts on them and glazed them.
Do you know when I had finished I had to admit it was the biggest load of tosh I've been associated with. Art - it was rubbish at the tax payers expense.
Had to think about this thread:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

W

White Room

When an Intenational Garden Festival was on locally they took over a small housing estate and turned the houses into themed areas.
I was asked to fix some tiles to a 'craft house' - arty farty types which included a bloke in womens clothes!
When I arrived on site to tile a splashback around a bath, some 'talented' artist had taken a number of flat roof tiles and painted a pattern of sorts on them and glazed them.
Do you know when I had finished I had to admit it was the biggest load of tosh I've been associated with. Art - it was rubbish at the tax payers expense.
Had to think about this thread:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

:yikes::yikes:

L

LM Ceramics

i had one call from a very strange women not far from me asking for tiling in her porch she wouldnt give me chance to speak on the phone so i popped round turned out it was roof tiling even though she got my name out of the yellow pages which clearing stated "wall and floor tiling" i said to her im not a roofer she wasnt having any of it and her reply was " it doesnt matter it cant be that hard"

she wasnt the brighest lamp in the street

D

david campbell

was once called out to price a job,got to the house and it was 2 large bathrooms and the biggest kitchen/utility room i've ever seen,the guy wanted all the walls and floors tiled,brilliant i thought,so priced the lot up(it was in the region of 120m2) the guy seemed happy with the price then replied" i'll give you a phone when my next social security check comes through" i couldn't get out the house quick enough but strangely found myself chuckling in the car on the way home at the brass neck of this guy wasting my time!:lol:

R

Rob Z

Now I remember another one...a lady got really huffy with me because I wouldn't give her a flat rate that would cover any type of tile she selected and and the unknown substrate prep that would be required.

When I explained to her the vast difference in prep and setting methods for glass tile vs ungauged stone vs cheap white 4 1/4" tile, and so on, she said she KNEW that it was all the same and if I were really a "tile guy" (her term) then I should be able to handle anything she chose.

I passed on that golden opportunity.:lol:

E

Eddie

I did a job, a couple of months ago. tiled behind the ladies, cooker, behind the washing machine behind the fridge and the freezer. none of it will be seen.

B

Bolter

Had a guy ask for his greenhouse floor to be tiled.

"really want it doing" he said.

Thing is, it wasnt like the greenhouse was a really nice one, it was about 6ft by 4ft, old as Timeless John and with a sliding door that didnt work all that well. Looked half knackered, but I did the job regardless :)

Reply to strangest callouts? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley