Search the forum,

Discuss Straight edges in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stocks Tiles

Glad i'm not the only one wondering why has put a batten on the wall above worktops! I would batten the gap between worktops in them situations, in bathrooms I laser around the room doing all my cuts, then up we go! Joints always meet in the corners for sure, which is something that bugs me seeing staggered joints when at a corner lol.

S

steve-tiler

I try not to use batons anymore if I can help it, I start with a level line and pin each tile in place. Then cut in bottom tile and then work up. Saves doing the bottom cuts after.

Also I always work straight off the worktop as it Should be level.

D

David Rowell

I'm curious why you have 'battened it out' when there's a perfectly level surface with the worktops?

Still very new to tiling widler the worktops to the left of that wall were down 40mm over 1.8m i figured i could t go wrong if i screwed a rail round lol. Though the opposite side i did strike a line and pinned 2 pins under every tile. Will be doing that from now on i think lol

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Still very new to tiling widler the worktops to the left of that wall were down 40mm over 1.8m i figured i could t go wrong if i screwed a rail round lol. Though the opposite side i did strike a line and pinned 2 pins under every tile. Will be doing that from now on i think lol

No worries David [emoji106]we all learn every day

D

David Rowell

No worries David [emoji106]we all learn every day

Definately agree widler. Im on a long learning curve with tiling I can count on 2 hands the tiling jobs ive done haha so my ways of doing things may seem strange to you :lol:

S

Stocks Tiles

Good luck on your tiling career if you have only just started, certainly read up on everything to do with preparation and setting out, there are so many different situations you will find yourself in as no job is the same! Try to think and look ahead before starting, so you can try and lose any "ugly" bits of tile you may encounter around a window or to the ceiling, as its too late once started as I'm sure many of us can say we learned from that mistake lol ;)

D

David Rowell

Good luck on your tiling career if you have only just started, certainly read up on everything to do with preparation and setting out, there are so many different situations you will find yourself in as no job is the same! Try to think and look ahead before starting, so you can try and lose any "ugly" bits of tile you may encounter around a window or to the ceiling, as its too late once started as I'm sure many of us can say we learned from that mistake lol ;)

Sound advice stocks :hurray:

judge

TF
Arms
Reaction score
40 mm over 1.8 m.:yikes:Thats some serious carpentry skills

W

White Room

You would'nt need a stabila to check the level...strewth.

M

Mr Tiler

Hello everyone. I had another splash back job today so this morning i was scratting
around for a straight edge to fix to the wall. I ended up finding a bottom slider off a set
of sliding sliding wardrobes i removed the other week. It worked an absolute treat. It was 2.3m
long light and already pre drilled.

So my question is what is your preferred straight edge and how do you fix them to the wall? Because
ive seen people use levels on youtube but didnt see how they fixed it
. View attachment 60448
hi mate, i use a datum line 3 course up and screws to hold the second course up... no big straight edges needed just a jub of screws and me drill works a treat once you get used to it.

Reply to Straight edges in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen