Discuss Spot fixing in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Aston

maybe it was just fizzled out in the 1980's. but i could have sworn it was part of a time served tilers duties??

just to be clear, i dont mean the tiler would float out walls on site or do 100m floor screeds prior to tiling, i mean, they had to be trained how to do it incase they had to rectify a substrate on say a private job/contract?

W

White Room

I do know that tilers done sand/cement many years ago on walls and even screeding, I've seen jobs advertised for renderers and skimming....even the plastering trade seems to be breaking up...

B

bugs183

Depends how long time served is!
My dads 72, been tiling nearly 50 years, he learnt on sand and cement, it didn't take him long to say no to screeding!!!!!
I think tiling and screeding are now very different diciplines as before you screeded your floor and popped your tiles into it.
Now the process is very different. Mind you there are still gangs of tilers sand and cement screeding and tiling. There's a team of Germans that fly all over the world tiling for Aldi and Lidl, these guys can motor, they'll screed and tile a supermarket faster than most guys would lay with adhesive!!

T

The D

Years ago i don't think tiling was a separate trade, it was encompassed by mason's plasterers so they would have naturally fixed in mortar, even when i was a young lad and we fixed in sand and cement i cant remember blobbing ,we used to screed,then the tiles that had been soaked and drained were slurry d with neat OPC then positioned on the screed then a flat section of wood placed over them then beaten down......or the screed sprinkled with opc, then splashed with water tiles layd/beaten down
Ok sorry my mistake it was never done like that and the hundred’s of m2 I took of the walls in the mid 80s was all in my imagination. Well I was taking a lot of drugs at the time.

bansko

TF
Reaction score
I started my apprenticeship in 1975 and all floor tiling was done monolithic, it was the tilers job to screed and fix in one operation. Wall tiling was mainly adhesive but there was the odd job where the spec required sand&cement fixing ,pit head baths etc. As far as floor screeding goes my opinion is its a tilers job as and when required, i dont particularly like doing it but i know its going to be right. These days it only ever seems to be when working to german specs ie, aldi, Lidl, BMW workshop floors etc that its required, i say this as its my era 50+ and wouldnt expect any of the younger lads to be able to do it. They were good days as there was never any shortage of work about and you were very well paid for it, these days we seem to follow so called floor screeders who go for the shovel finish, and dry liners who have been on a 3 week course. Its not good.

afright

TF
Reaction score
When i first started tiling all floors were fixed with sand and cement mainly we used pit sand with level batons bedded to the concrete ,early 70s started to use sharp sand with a slurry over the top this method was known as swedish style You started as a Tilers mate you had to be on the job half an hour before to have the muck ready,wash of the tiles as he laid them,and at the end of the day stay behind to wash all the tilers tools clean up and prepare for next day and you would grout the floor from the day before the grout being cement 2 parts to one part sand then cleaned of with damp sawdust no washing with a sponge ,and all the muck was knocked up by hand my old boss did,nt like mixers... you did sleep well.

Last edited:

bansko

TF
Reaction score
That just about sums up my apprenticeship, some of them old fixers should have been reported to the cruelty man.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Depends how long time served is!
My dads 72, been tiling nearly 50 years, he learnt on sand and cement, it didn't take him long to say no to screeding!!!!!
I think tiling and screeding are now very different diciplines as before you screeded your floor and popped your tiles into it.
Now the process is very different. Mind you there are still gangs of tilers sand and cement screeding and tiling. There's a team of Germans that fly all over the world tiling for Aldi and Lidl, these guys can motor, they'll screed and tile a supermarket faster than most guys would lay with adhesive!!

Bugs I ran a team for over ten years doing power vibration floors, all sand and cement Aldi, Lidl, Netto, etc. we got rid of the German gangs from the UK by doing the stores faster and to a better standard, went on to work in Europe, USA, these skills should not be underestimated imo, not taking anything from the German fixers, just we were better/faster we made some silly money on them. Tilers should know how to screed/ render it is part of the trade, again tiling is a trade I get fed up of hearing the phrase anyone can tile, rant over, for now.:thumbsup:

D

Daveshadowman

i agree that some of the standard of plastering is not as good as it was but i was also under the assumption, that floating out a wall to accomodate tiling along with floor screeding was part of a tilers duties?
the plaster should get the wall flat the bloke doing the floor should get it flat as a tiler we should be putting a bed down/ on depented on size of tile to size of trowel etc no dot and dab if you have to dot and dab then the surface is not right do not do the job end of

A

Aston

the plaster should get the wall flat the bloke doing the floor should get it flat as a tiler we should be putting a bed down/ on depented on size of tile to size of trowel etc no dot and dab if you have to dot and dab then the surface is not right do not do the job end of

i agree daveshadow, my point was, tilers ued to be able to sort their own walls and floors if the need required it thats all .
i understand that some tilers now cannot float a wall and use a feather eadge to flatten it, never mind plumb dot and screed it. i also understand that some tilers could'nt do a floor screed but they used to be able to and i would love to see that reintroduced as part of the nvq because we would be improving the trade and adding the old skills which made the trade more complete....the australians still include rendering and floor screeding in their apprenticeships and they are getting the reputation, we used to have. also, in this recession, having the ability to cut the plasterer out of the equasion on say domestic work, would be a great advantage too!!

anyway, back to the thread, oh yeah, dont dot and dab and plasterers, sort your selves out ;0)

afright

TF
Reaction score
There,s some tiler,s would not know the first thing about laying a floor with sand and cement,I was even trained in making terrazzo tiles and doing on site terrazzo in situ,the trouble is too many DIY tilers think they can have ago,Ive come across many in my time.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
too many 'plasterers' aint plasterers,its that simple really,as whitebeam has mentioned a plasterers job is being split for some reason.
my apprenticeship was 4 years my 1st year or so was learning how to mix,gauging gear making sure every external render mix was the right colour,and woe be tide me *** if it was not right,christ i would of had a easier time in the SAS.
anyway,my walls are always true,cos i blinking tile em ;)

and if anyone can't get a drylined wall true,they really should be working in a completely different profession,window cleaning would be a good one,surely thye could clean windows right :)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Seen loads of flags spot fixed but unless they're having vehicles going over them they can take the eight of foot traffic fine like that. It's when you get ceramics being spot fixed with not enough adhesive to cover the back when you tamp them down that you end up not being able to drill the damn things or fix anything to them. And eventually natural crazing in them become cracks. And the cracks end up following through the grout and onto the next tile etc etc

It shouldn't get done full stop IMO and never should have with adhesive. I can understand sand/cement not being so spreadable but adhesive was made the way it was so it can be spreadable.

Reaction score
Good point's here Lads ! but it sound like plasterers /screeders are being held to blame for poor sub straights supplied ,tilers have the option of rejecting,or even correcting this or IF they can refuse to tile on it,so there is STILL no excuse to spot -fix /DD, and nobody has come -up with the way in which we as a trade ,can STAMP IT OUT,OUTLAW IT, OR MAKE IT A ILLEGAL ??? :thumbsup: if you read my first post :hurray:

Reply to Spot fixing in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks