Search the forum,

Discuss some new technical knowledge........not in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

found out today from a builder that it wasnt the fact that his guys had dot and dabbed( 5 small spots) 60x60 porcelain tiles on 12mm plywood walls that all his tiles had come loose and failed it was actually because the client had turned off the air control unit in the pool house that had caused the failure of his tile installation ,how does that cause tiles to fail I asked its is the excess moisture which causes movement I was told, okay thanks for the info I will pass it on to the british standards institute :mad2:

Reaction score
he might be partially right ,i have seen the complete insides of pool-rooms destroyed by the de-humidifacation unit being turn off for a long period of time and keeping the swimming pool running Gary!
and moisture/ water causes expansion thus movement at different rates in different materials ! but having said that it is probs poor fixing practice

S

Spud

Thanks Gooner,the pool room is showing signs of movement but at the time of the build only 3 years ago I did mention to the builder that he should use hardi backer to line his walls and use a 2 part tile adhesive ,I was told to mind my own business and the builder tried to get me kicked off the job,The client asked me to tile his bathrooms which i insisted should be hardi backer and the builder accused me of trying to waste the customers money I will post some pictures of his work tomorrow to see what you think

Reply to some new technical knowledge........not in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen