Discuss Size difference. in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've been a member for a while but don't get around to posting much.
The job I am doing at the moment is for a very good friend of mine that has his own building company, now I normally say I am to busy when he rings me to offer me work because he can be a bit slap dash crash bang wallop, but for some reason on this occasion I offered to help even before knowing what the job was.... Because I had a few days spare in between jobs.
50m2 floor. Kitchen the rooms empty he told me..... Lying pig he is.
So I turn up to start the other day. OMG!!!!!! The kitchen has been fitted, granted they left the plinths off 3m X 1.2m Island unit etc.
Where and what are the tiles.....just there them 300x300 slate from Topps Tiles
I have never worked with such utter rubbish in all my life, they range from 297x297 all the way up to 306x306....that's 9mm's (ffs) and out of square. thicknesses rang from 4mm up to 12mm and the twist and the riven nature I wouldn't call them tiles I would describe them as off cuts.
I remember working at Euston station in the 80's using (if my memory serves me right) shaws twin tiles and they was bad....I mean really bad but they haven't a patch on these.
So I was wondering.......what's the worst tiles you fellas have used?

Last edited by a moderator:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Funnily enough topps calabrated :tearsofjoy:slate opus , had to wet cut half of them(around 40m2) to make fit :grimacing:

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Funnily enough topps calabrated :tearsofjoy:slate opus , had to wet cut half of them(around 40m2) to make fit :grimacing:

If Topps Tiles was the last supplier on the planet and I needed a bag of adhesive to enable me to finish a job so I could get paid and use the money to pay a doctor to stitch my scrotum back up up after I purposely slit it with my Stanley knife...... I'd rather bleed to death.

mma

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If Topps Tiles was the last supplier on the planet and I needed a bag of adhesive to enable me to finish a job so I could get paid and use the money to pay a doctor to stitch my scrotum back up up after I purposely slit it with my Stanley knife...... I'd rather bleed to death.
Luxury...

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
The job I am doing at the moment is for a very good friend of mine that has his own building company, now I normally say I am to busy when he rings me to offer me work because he can be a bit slap dash crash bang wallop, but for some reason on this occasion I offered to help even before knowing what the job was.... Because I had a few days spare in between jobs.
So I turn up to start the other day. OMG!!!!!! The kitchen has been fitted, granted they left the plinths off 3m X 1.2m Island unit etc.
I have never worked with such utter rubbish in all my life, they range from 297x297 all the way up to 306x306....that's 9mm's (ffs) and out of square. thicknesses rang from 4mm up to 12mm and the twist and the riven nature I wouldn't call them tiles I would describe them as off cuts.
I remember working at Euston station in the 80's using (if my memory serves me right) shaws twin tiles and they was bad....I mean really bad but they haven't a patch on these.

Marc @3_fall and I had a job where client had chosen Topps multi colour, multi format slate. Absolute pish. It literally disintegrated in our hands. Very very poor quality.
Thankfully after discussions with the home owner it got rejected and we managed to source and supply a stunning honed slate cheaper!

Had to do that many many times with opus patterned stone.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Here's Topp's slate, and what we did.

FB_IMG_1441410310895.jpg

FB_IMG_1441410363499.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Simon benn Leeds

Lithofin slate seal is the best impregnator imo,

And poor you having to fit them

Bring your issues up with the builder and client and explain the random sizes, and poor quality before the install, because as soon as you put a tile down everything falls back on your toes.

I think you'll be surprised how well it will look when complete and your looking at the whole floor, it will take a bit of jiggery-pokery messing with the joins, but if they have paid for the rustic look I'd be happy to give them it lol.

In terms of thickness issues, in the past I've had to wait until the tiles have gone off and go around and dress the lipped edges with a hammer and bolster.

But there will be undulations in the tiles regardless as it natural so may work in your favour.

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Lithofin slate seal is the best impregnator imo,

And poor you having to fit them

Bring your issues up with the builder and client and explain the random sizes, and poor quality before the install, because as soon as you put a tile down everything falls back on your toes.

I think you'll be surprised how well it will look when complete and your looking at the whole floor, it will take a bit of jiggery-pokery messing with the joins, but if they have paid for the rustic look I'd be happy to give them it lol.

In terms of thickness issues, in the past I've had to wait until the tiles have gone off and go around and dress the lipped edges with a hammer and bolster.

But there will be undulations in the tiles regardless as it natural so may work in your favour.

Finished the job yesterday morning final coat of Topps colour enhancer applied.
The job looks good, not my taste like but the customer is in love with it.
It is a rustic finish and I have been round with a hammer and an old wood chisel taking down a few corners and tickled quite a few joints with the grinder.
Had no choice with sealer as the customer purchased everything, I like lithofin myself.

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Any pics ?

Do you know what mate, I didn't take any like I normally do, maybe the trauma or haste at which my tool were slung in the van to get away from the job made me forget.
The builder who is a very good friend asked me to do another job around the corner similar size 40-50m2, I love the guy he has been a close friend for 40 odd years now..........but!!!!!!!! And it's a big but...... He's the roughest builder I know and the only thing that is making me think about doing it is ££££££££££

Reply to Size difference. in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks