Discuss Self levelling over wet ufh system in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

goz

TF
Reaction score
IMG_4528.PNG
Hi guys, the job, 140m2 of Mapei renovation screed over profix 15mm ufh system. It was to big for me to lay by hand so got a firm in to pump it. They have done a top job getting spot on flat but after inspecting it 2 and half days after it was laid I found pretty much every where it had the milky soft residue on top, looks like too much water in the mix. What can I do from here to make it tileable?
Cheers

T

Time's Ran Out

Too much water above 4.5l/25kg will reduce the strength of the screed and no doubt bring the fibres to the surface.
It may be as simple as above and without knowing the thickness covered it may be useless - it should have been left 'without needing any further attention' so a call to Mapei technical should provide the answer.

H

hmtiling

looked into getting a big area pumped myself but the guys i spoke couldn't regulate the water accurately enough with the equipment they had. big areas are much more doable,by hand, than you'd think.

O

One Day

It takes a considerable amount of excess water to really weaken the end result.
More often it's salts and fibre rising to the top.
Not ideal, but no panic (usually).
Call mapei to put your mind at ease though.

T

Time's Ran Out

It takes a considerable amount of excess water to really weaken the end result.
More often it's salts and fibre rising to the top.
Not ideal, but no panic (usually).
Call mapei to put your mind at ease though.

But that's the issue - it may not be just sand it ...... etc. The Op will not know how much water was used, so the strength of the screed could be compromised. From the picture it looks like a fairly thick layer of soft surface material to receive attention. The firm who pumped it should be responsible for the correct mix and to provide a finished surface in line with Mapei product specifications.

goz

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for all replies guys. @timeless john os right , the layer that is milky and soft looks to be at least a few mm thick. The leveller was laid at 20mm thick on top of the profix , like an interlocking plastic base that the pipes sit in. Mainly the reason I didn't do by hand was because of this. I thought about sanding it but I'm worried it's just gonna be soft quite the way down, prob only got a few mm before we get to the pipe?
Will ring Mapei to make sure .

goz

TF
Reaction score
I'm there on Monday so will look, just out of interest, if it's soft down into the body of the leveller, what is a remedy to tile this? Can you tile this?

O

One Day

I'm there on Monday so will look, just out of interest, if it's soft down into the body of the leveller, what is a remedy to tile this? Can you tile this?
I'd think the remedy would be legal recourse with the morons who pumped it in?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Id get the heating on goz , let them pipes expand and contract a bit and see what the leveler does .
This is no way aimed at you goz, but a lad and a tradesman would of done it essy really . Its not as hard (as in capability rather than graft) as you think

goz

TF
Reaction score
Id get the heating on goz , let them pipes expand and contract a bit and see what the leveler does .
This is no way aimed at you goz, but a lad and a tradesman would of done it essy really . Its not as hard (as in capability rather than graft) as you think
I have laid 100m in a few hours on a old screed before using pin leveller and spike roller and spike shoes, really enjoy it. A combination of this ufh system and lack of time and inclination on my part meant I passed it over to another flooring contractor. Plumber is there on Monday, will see if we can fire it up

L

LM

If you can press a small screwdriver in more than about 1 or 2 mill by Monday, get Mapei on board and they'll tear the screeding company a new one

Reply to Self levelling over wet ufh system in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks