Search the forum,

Discuss Sealing Before grouting? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bordershouse

Just had 2 of the bathrooms upstairs tiled and the tiler has asked me to get a sealer to use before grouting so that the tiles can be cleaned up easily.

The first bathroom is tiled in a matt ceramic (Padova from Topps) and we have the same tiles in the kitchen downstairs and the grout haze was a nightmare to get rid of. The second bathroom is done in a matt textured porcelain (called Noranda Beige). A very small area has been grouted so that I could decide on the colour and it looks as if that will leave a haze also. We're using Mapei Ultracolor grout.

Another bathroom with a satin ceramic has already been tiled and grouted with no problem. It's just the matt / textured ones that the grout seems to stick to horribly.

So the question is, is it better / easier to use a 'sealer' on these beforehand than use a haze cleaner afterwards, and if so what one? Google brings up various impregnators and grout release products but I'm not sure what's what. And should I seal the porcelain ones at all after grouting? I'm assuming I don't need to seal ceramic?

Many thanks!

D

Daz

I've never experienced problems with the Padova and no need to seal, IMO.
I've only ever worked with the Noranda "polished" versions which deffo require sealing prior to grouting. I imagine the matt versions will be difficult but the surface pores only really "open" when the surface is polished, so I would have thought that the matt version should be okay to grout and not require sealing prior or after grouting.

Reply to Sealing Before grouting? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen