Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss sandwell college courses in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

samtiler

what costs are the courses at sandwell college for the tiling courses and are they better than the 2 week tiling courses at training centres

and what qualifications do you get

and what qualifications do you need to be a qualified tiler thanks

S

samtiler

sorry for snapping

but im just asking oppinions your a tiler what do you think thanks

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Sandwell college have some good lads there training. They're an actual college so you'll be aiming for a NVQ if you're not just doing the short course with them.

I would contact them to find out more details though, they're a new forum sponsor and we're still awaiting setting up their account on the forum so they can directly provide advice etc.

S

samtiler

i know but i can do my city guilds level 1 on the short course and do my nvq level 2 from there aswell apparently they will get me assessed its because i work at the minute and i 2 week course is my easy option and its gonna be tricky getting to sandwell do you think i will learn the same in two weeks than what i will at sandwell thanks

D

DHTiling

2 to 3 years experience before you can get an NVQ.

Short course will only give you an insight. It takes years to learn and perfect.

T

tfs

your existing knowledge and practical ability will determine how much you will get from the course too. You wont be a tiler after two weeks but you will hopefully pick up a few pointers from your tutor and get some hands on experience at cutting ceramics and using a trowel etc.

T

TradeTeacher Emily

Hi :) at construction skills college we offer a 5 day tiling course and a 10 day. Now these courses are intensive and practical based if you are wanting to start learning the trade. An NVQ would only be possible if you are employed with on the job training and an assessor would come out and assess you at work. If you want any more information on the ourses then give me a shout :)

S

samtiler

So to do my nvq i have to be employed by a company y cant i just find work on a weekend and still do my nvq thanks

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi Samtiler
Qualifications ie NVQ is only usefull if you want site work, they are pretty worthless in a domestic market as nobdy will ask you to show it, all the domestic customer is bothered about is if you can show them you have the confidence by using your knowledge of the job to do and getting on with them.
I can only speak for my training centre and i actually do the tiling training, i have trained thousands of people now over the last 7 years and 2 weeks good training will get you a good start into the industry where you will gain experience as you go through your career, whether a long college course or a short course it can only show you simulated projects that you are likley to come across.
Once you have the basics ie Setting out properly, applicaion of tiles, understanding of backgrounds and products, shaping and cutting of tiles etc, you should be able to adapt those skills onto some live jobs in the real world.
What we do that a college probably wont is tell you how to run a full business in tiling from keeping accounts, paying yourself a wage, taxation, pricing, trade accounts and how to market your services and add link sales onto your business so you can make as much money from the job as possible by adding design work, supplying of extras etc

We run a one week and two week course that you will get everything you need to know to make a start, the course comes accredited with a Level 2 qualification which will go towards an NVQ which you can only get once you are working on site or in a domestic market place.

There are a lot of people against short courses on here that will tell you otherwise however they are in no position to comment on something that they might not have every been to, I know from a fact that we have had hundreds of people start and maintain tiling businesses from our course many who are still on this forum today.

It easy to say just go out with another tiler for free, that just aint going to happen as you will just be their competion once you get going so why would they want that, a lot of people are not in a position either to train for years, so a good short course is all thats left

We have 15 pages of possitive course feedback on here to back up the quality of our courses

Check out our website for a breakdown of what we cover on the tiling course
Regards
Darren

UK Trades Training (NETT)
Website click UK Trades Training

S

samtiler

thanks darren for taking your time to explain to me properly youve made me understand alot more now

Reply to sandwell college courses in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks