Search the forum,

Discuss Rogue Traders! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

Vance Miller again :boring:

People who spend thousands on a kitchen without checking who they are buying from are a little dim witted (not saying they deserve it)

Apart from vance and the roofng guy they were hardly taking them for thousands were they! I know that doesn't make it right by any means but I mean take that guy who was fitting aerials, £110 for a new aerial is quite a good price:lol:

W

White Room

The guy who did'nt even know the name of the stuff for mice, beginning with P, poison perhaps

P

Peter

Vance Miller again :boring:

People who spend thousands on a kitchen without checking who they are buying from are a little dim witted (not saying they deserve it)

Apart from vance and the roofng guy they were hardly taking them for thousands were they! I know that doesn't make it right by any means but I mean take that guy who was fitting aerials, £110 for a new aerial is quite a good price:lol:

£110 and a hot date. :lol:

M

mikethetile

i watched this on iplayer

im a bit worried now

trust mark being used by a dodgy trader:yikes:

ive just got the paperwork through for the trading standard approved contractor scheme

it costs over £200 but im confident in getting approved

200 sobs is a lot of money for a couple of van stickers

if a government approved scheme is going to get slated on rogue traders,whats the point in paying out

if rogues can use this scheme to con people then they wont trust anyone with this creditation

what do others think

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you build your own reputation up and don't both with any form of trustmark style approval. It costs you nothing and you'll get your own name about rather than advertising a trustmark or something similar.

If I had a van you'd have to pay me to stick your logo on it!

M

mikethetile

your right dan

the way my mind was working was that a lot of people dont know who to ask to do jobs for them

and this will reassure them

i dont think thats going to work now so i will have to rethink

i looked at dulux select but i can only use their products

and untill i do they wont entertain me so thats the end of that then

im going to have to reconsider this whole idea

cheers dan

C

Colour Republic

your right dan

the way my mind was working was that a lot of people dont know who to ask to do jobs for them

and this will reassure them

i dont think thats going to work now so i will have to rethink

i looked at dulux select but i can only use their products

and untill i do they wont entertain me so thats the end of that then

im going to have to reconsider this whole idea

cheers dan

Really? I'm a member and the fee you pay might only seem as you are getting a few stickers and a web listing but really you are getting more, the admin costs of the dulux scheme, the admin costs of the Trustmark scheme, the site visit, the guarantee of your work and leads that come through Dulux select all have a value.

Where the guarantee comes it only covers a dulux product which isn’t unreasonable, you can still be a member and only do one job a year that includes dulux products.

As for Trustmark I think it's a good scheme of course it has its flaws (it's Government run what do you expect!) but nothing is perfect and it does put the customers mind at rest.

What you have to be wary of is that the Trustmark scheme is administered by third party bodies like Dulux, so by getting your Trustmark through them you are only 'trustmarked' for decorating, so if you what a Trustmark to cover you for plumbing you have to go through another trade scheme and so on... That said the Trustmark logo is generic so can be used by your company it's up to you to tell the customer it's for decorating, so the system can be abused by some

M

mikethetile

thanks cr

the rep who rang me told me that i could only use their products

i dont have a problem with dulux trade or glidden but use zinsser in my prep

i was interested in being on their database,

the training courses are worth the membership alone

business development and their advertising

the important thing to me was the vetting process and having ici underwriting my work

customers are reassured if they have a third party to go to if there is a problem

C

Colour Republic

thanks cr

the rep who rang me told me that i could only use their products

i dont have a problem with dulux trade or glidden but use zinsser in my prep

i was interested in being on their database,

the training courses are worth the membership alone

business development and their advertising

the important thing to me was the vetting process and having ici underwriting my work

customers are reassured if they have a third party to go to if there is a problem

The rep who rang would be from a company called Diversity who handle the administration of the scheme, when you cary out a job under the scheme you hand the customer a form which is in effect the guarentee but it has to be signed by both parties, in it the installer can write notes that the customer has refused your profession opinion and decided to not have certain prep works undertaken, or has asked for part of the job to be done with non ICI products, so in effect the guarentee is void for the whole job or just part of it, I can upload the form if you like?

Reply to Rogue Traders! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi Guys have a big gap above tray to fill 2cm high 1cm deep (3/4in x 1/2in) Any suggestions...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen