Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing tiles in a shower cubicle in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

James De

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
so I’m replacing an exposed shower valve today. Only snag is they had a really crap valve in before which is piped up with services far left of the valve. One of the tiles I need to remove is behind the curved screen which looks old and decrepit and I just know as soon as I remove it the can of worms will open up.

Is there any way of replacing the far left tile without removing the screen?

7641853B-9232-4771-A4AD-3BEAC0BCC314.jpeg

James De

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
They’ve tiled on bonding here. It’s an external wall as well :eek: and buried pushfit fittings within the bonding :eek::eek: and I’ve chipped the lower right tile on the internal corner :eek::eek::eek:

B11A415C-D3EA-4393-BB62-36B4BFD81631.jpeg

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have had a similar situation to this before, what I did was use my Hardie scoring knife to score the tile surface tight to the enclosure then carefully break the tile out with my hammer and an old screwdriver after removing the grout.
Worked well for me and left a decent straight edge I could tidy up with a file.
I left it as a grout joint when fitting replacements.

James De

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I have had a similar situation to this before, what I did was use my Hardie scoring knife to score the tile surface tight to the enclosure then carefully break the tile out with my hammer and an old screwdriver after removing the grout.
Worked well for me and left a decent straight edge I could tidy up with a file.
I left it as a grout joint when fitting replacements.
Mine has ended up like this :mad: I was thinking of putting a couple coats of SBR over it, filling it with rapid flex and then tiling into that once dry???
B566513A-FA27-4928-A669-89EBA7DEDC62.jpeg

W

Waluigi

How come you’re using wall plate elbows?

Is it a bar style valve going in and you’re using the cranked adaptors?

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There seems to be quite a depth to the brickwork.
I think I would chop out more of the render to make it squarer and dot and dab some plasterboard in if possible.

James De

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
How come you’re using wall plate elbows?

Is it a bar style valve going in and you’re using the cranked adaptors?
Because the stupid shower they’ve bought isn’t compatible with the bar shower fixings that you can fix to the surface of the tiles :mad: yup, it has crap offset adapters as the valve has an internal filters you can’t remove that fit inside the offset adapters

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Oragh..I thought it was only me who got all the awkward kin jobs, was that a Matki shower? they do all kinds of weird ones.

Reply to Replacing tiles in a shower cubicle in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen