Search the forum,

Discuss Removing trims in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JohnnyB

Hi,
I've only been tiling a few weeks and I have been ask to tile a bathroom. There are already about 3 row of tiles and a border over the bath all in white and the customer wants to me to carry on up the wall to the ceiling which is no problem as he has bought the same tiles, but the 3 row of tiles have been finished of with a trim so I need to take this trim off so I can carry on tiling up the wall. It all seems straight forward but I havn't had any experience of removing trims. Is it easy to remove or will I have to remove the last row of tiles, I thought of using a stanley knife to cut away the trim, but at the end of the bath I need to replace it with one that goes up to the ceiling as the customer only wants around the bath fully tiled.

V

Varley

Never tried to remove just the trim before, all i can advise is try and remove it, but you may have to take off top row of tiles, sorry i can't give any better advice. :icon9:

T

tiling1

good luck if you try removing the trim with a stanley, it is possible but the time to do this can cost more than removing the top row. also if levels are not right can make your job look bad just make sure you explain this to your customer.

D

DHTiling

Hi,
I've only been tiling a few weeks and I have been ask to tile a bathroom. There are already about 3 row of tiles and a border over the bath all in white and the customer wants to me to carry on up the wall to the ceiling which is no problem as he has bought the same tiles, but the 3 row of tiles have been finished of with a trim so I need to take this trim off so I can carry on tiling up the wall. It all seems straight forward but I havn't had any experience of removing trims. Is it easy to remove or will I have to remove the last row of tiles, I thought of using a stanley knife to cut away the trim, but at the end of the bath I need to replace it with one that goes up to the ceiling as the customer only wants around the bath fully tiled.

hi jonny m8. try with sharp knife and score along tiles carefully watching tiles and fingers . should work with a little patience. done this myself fews times.

T

tony TLC

you should be able to cut through the trim with a stanley go slow and cut it through and just pack out your first row.
but you will have no control over the layout and if its wrong you will get the blame
the chioce is yours
:)

V

Varley

you should be able to cut through the trim with a stanley go slow and cut it through and just pack out your first row.
but you will have no control over the layout and if its wrong you will get the blame
the chioce is yours
:)

Good point Tony, previous tiler probably won't have set out for the full bathroom, therefore you may be left with bad cuts in places. Check this before doing the job.

J

JohnnyB

Hi,
Thanks for all the advice, Iv'e only been tiling a few weeks and every job I get asked to do seems to be anything but straight forward, I must point out though that this bathroom Iv'e been asked to do is to continue up to the ceiling over the bath only, there is no tiles anywhere else so any previous setting out by the last tiler won't matter, I just need to remove the trim from the top of the tiles around the bath and continue up to the ceiling, sorry if I've confused anybody.

V

Varley

Should be ok then, only problem might be that you are left with a thin cut at the top of the wall, wxplain to the customer that there is nothing at all you can do about it if it ends up that way. Good luck m8.

H

Highlander

Just another tip. If you have a Dremel multi tool you can get the wee saw blade and is really handy for cutting away trim. I also have a Fein cutter but it is a bit big for that. I have used the Dremel for grinding out cracks in tiles were the customer does not want to lift the tile and then grouted with a matched grout.

Know a boy that used a stanley to cut the trim now he is called four and a half fingers Dave :)

Just a thought.

Reply to Removing trims in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen