Search the forum,

Discuss Radical Approach to sealing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Terry Cottar

Sealers are necessary in most cases where natural stone is involved! You raise the point about the Romans but do not forget they didn't have shampoos, shower gels or soaps that were full of colourants and god knows what. If yoiu don't seal it you will live to regret it in most cases. However all that said there are some stones that show little effect with or without sealers. by applying a good quality premium impregnating sealer you allow a matrix to form and bond below the surface and this in turn gives a reaction time so that when anything contaminates the tile it only sits on the surface prior to penetrating and it makes it easier to clean.

tel

M

mags

Funny the only roman stone ive seen all seems to be pretty weathered or covered in a few feet of molton lava. Im pretty sure though the romans didnt give too hoots about stains on the floor.

Stone has capilieries which if you spil say wine on will fill up and stain, if you fill these 'holes' with something else - stainstop etc then should you spill wine (only cheap plonk I hope) then it has nowhere to go but sit on the surface.

Id seal it , its not expensive.

T

Terry Cottar

Funny the only roman stone ive seen all seems to be pretty weathered or covered in a few feet of molton lava. Im pretty sure though the romans didnt give too hoots about stains on the floor.

Stone has capilieries which if you spil say wine on will fill up and stain, if you fill these 'holes' with something else - stainstop etc then should you spill wine (only cheap plonk I hope) then it has nowhere to go but sit on the surface.

Id seal it , its not expensive.

Not quite true it only sits there until the acid in it starts to react by etching deeper into the stone

tel

L

LOFTHOUSE

Yeah, I agree with Enduro, Aquamix is the safer alternative. That's all I use, I won't expose myself to any more petro-based products. No Bueno Por La Lunga!

Also, you can get by with just sealing the grout. Stone does not get too terribly dirty. Clean often (once a week)

I tiled a very busy showroom that is more of a warehouse, lots of traffic. In the 4 years since tiling it, and I did seal it all. The grout is "Black", and the stone is gorgeous. The veins did absorb some dirt on the San Mateo Marble (orange with white quartz movement).

Protect your investment, but above all.....protect your knees, lungs, and skin.

MySpace - LOFTHOUSE STONE - 29 - Male - Van, Texas - myspace.com/moonstruckmosaics :welcome:

Reply to Radical Approach to sealing in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.