Search the forum,

Discuss questions on shower design and fitting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

alan beard

Hi

I think I am a reasonably competent DYer but I have limited experience with Bathrooms at this stage.
I am trying to plan the design and fitting of a new bathroom, including a shower and I have some questions.

I am looking at using a shower tray and tiling the wall, my first concern is working out how to fit seal the tanking to the shower tray. I am not sure if to use a tray with an up-stand, although many of the trays I have seen do not have an up-stand. If there is an up-stand it's fairly obvious how to finish the tanking against the up-stand, but if there is no up-stand how do I make the seal onto the tray. The thought I had was just to run the tanking down onto the top of the tray but I am concerned that I will only have the tile thickness to make the joint, am I missing something obvious? Then also I think the tanking is normally glued using tile adhesive, is this suitable for joining on to the shower tray as well?

I have thoughts about running the tanking under the tray as well and then fitting he tray and using some more tanking to seal the gap between tray and wall, is this a sensible idea or would I cause other problems.?

The shower will be a quadrant built into a corner with one normal plastered wall and one will be a stud wall. My thought wouldbe to use 4*2 vertical timbers on a 400mm spacing with some noggins in the shower valve area and 12.5mm pb. Will this be stiff enough for the tilling?

I also have a non tiling question, I am wondering what the best solution will be for the extractor fan, I realise the choice I make will have an impact on electrical saftey and the fan I need to use. I was wondering if there is a performance benifit in having an extractor fan inlet immediatly above the shower compared to halfway between shower and a source of air as I have seen recommended in some places. Does having an extracor above the shower make if feel draughty?

Any advice I can get would be appreciated

Thanks

Alan

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I feel the same as you, when you tank over the edge of the shower tray you only have the width of the tile to cover this (about 10mm at best), You could go out a bit further and cover this with a plastic bath seal?
What i usually do is tank the walls first, fit the tray next leaving a 5-6mm gap between wall and tray and pump silicone as far down as you can to fill this gap, giving you about 50-60 mm of a seal

Dont do as the bathroom I found this week, The tray was fitted to the wall with the protective film still on it next to the walls:mad2:

Reply to questions on shower design and fitting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a stone resin shower tray which I am planning to remove (with a due sense of...
Replies
Views
This is a rather novice question I admit, but I would appreciate some advise. My tiler has...
Replies
Views
Hi, A newcomer here and thank you to anyone with the patience to read my drivel. I am...
Replies
Views
Hi i am looking for a shower tray under tile seal, a few years ago I found one that the tile...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen