Currently reading:
Price Check Marble, Porcelain 7 Mosaic

Discuss Price Check Marble, Porcelain 7 Mosaic in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I'm struggling with a price on this one.
Bathroom with 3 windows 57x100 (all at the same level).
Bath, toilet, basin.

Walls: 22sqm of Crema Marfil 60x30 brickbond with a marble mosaic running around the room at about 1.2m. Also the same marble mosaic vertical strip at the head of the bath and another at the basin. There are also 2 external corners to cut around.

Floor 4 sqm to be tiled with Brera white 90x45

There is an awful lot of wet cutting I know, and there is a massive great dane that has already had the nose bitten off a gas fitter and bitten someone's hand.

Any help please? Cheers Sean

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
How are u finishing the external edges Sean?
How high is the window cill Sean, do u know?

I did not take the window height when I went round. The customers did not know what tiles they wanted at that stage. I just took measurements and gave them the room dimensions.

External edges have not yet been discussed.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Ok mate, just wondered wher window fell in relation to border, (so kitch!)
You're not considering mitring externals are you mate?
Do you know if it has pre polished edges?
That can be done on site easy enough, just takes time.
Brittle stuff Crema Marfil! Have u used it before?
Will talk them into chrome trim.
Tiled with crema marfil but only on floor.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Ive just done 4 marble bathrooms in one house, 3 fully tiled and one half height. It was a rare job where I was told price wasn't an issue just do whatever looks best. All external corners were bull nosed and polished and the builder and customer were chuffed to bits. So much so that I've got 4 more to do exactly the same in the next property he's currently building! I don't like trims with stone but have had customers insist on it in the past

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
You could mitre it. The problem with a lot of natural stone jobs is people think it looks quality but they don't have the budget to have it installed in a way that will make it look amazing. I can't remember his name but there as a guy who used to come on here who did a lot of stone work and his mitres and corners were phenomenal. Lived down Worcester way I think

O

Old Mod

You could mitre it. The problem with a lot of natural stone jobs is people think it looks quality but they don't have the budget to have it installed in a way that will make it look amazing. I can't remember his name but there as a guy who used to come on here who did a lot of stone work and his mitres and corners were phenomenal. Lived down Worcester way I think

Not sure about mitring Crema Peter, edges break out so easy, if he was gonna keep fem mm back and create birds beak might get away with it.
Depends on thickness too!
I'm for square polished edges or slightly rounded off.
But that's just how I'd do it.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Not sure about mitring Crema Peter, edges break out so easy, if he was gonna keep fem mm back and create birds beak might get away with it.
Depends on thickness too!
I'm for square polished edges or slightly rounded off.
But that's just how I'd do it.

Sorry Marc got side tracked from the original question and was talking about stone in general obviously if the stone won't allow it the yes you'd have to leave a few mm on the edge, it still looks great though. Going slightly off topic agin I'm just waiting for confirmation of dates then will be booking Brno for next year!!

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
The stone is from Topps so quality wise i don't know what it's like.

I don't do much stone work and I've never done mitres or bull nosing.

I was thinking 8 days labour. Addy grout & sealer etc. £1600

It's in High Wycombe.

My worry is the handling, cutting and size of the floor tiles in such a tight area.

O

Old Mod

I wouldn't have said that was enough Sean.
Personally I'd want more.
Until u get definitive answers on things like external edges and around the window mate, think it's a tough price to call.
All your cutting will be done outside, all on wet saw.
Takes time. In & out, in & out!
It's not something that can be rushed.
But I don't know client and I don't know what they expect of you.
Just be cautious Sean, nothing worse than doing some of your best work and loosing money!
Trust me I know! Haha
Is mosaic and field tile same thickness?
Do you have somewhere outside close by to work?
There won't be any sanitary ware in will there?
If there is, get rid!
You can template the floor tiles, transfer template outside mate. Then your not lugging lumps of marble in and out!
You can't do this kinda work in a confined space properly, you need room to move!
But it's not my job it's yours!
But really keen to see progress tho Sean!

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Room should be empty, but it is a trek to get outside. House is on top of a windy hill and start date is December!
Not sure about thickness of mosaic, but I normally use 'Beava' mosaic backing from Topps.

I almost want to over price this one because I have a feeling that the customers want to cram so many features into this room.

p.s. The dog is kept outside!!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
The stone is from Topps so quality wise i don't know what it's like.

I don't do much stone work and I've never done mitres or bull nosing.

I was thinking 8 days labour. Addy grout & sealer etc. £1600

It's in High Wycombe.

My worry is the handling, cutting and size of the floor tiles in such a tight area.
Dam, I keep disagreeing with Marc :( obviously it depends on areas and clients, but
I think that's a good price for it, I'd buy a bullnose bit of ATS and some polishing pads, cost you around £100, I got some for some limestone steps I did , cracking bit of kit :)

Reply to Price Check Marble, Porcelain 7 Mosaic in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement