Currently reading:
POLL, Do you tile direct to Plywood

Discuss POLL, Do you tile direct to Plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

as dave said, if its my choice then definately no!
if i do have to tile on ply, then i insist on installing the ply or at least overviewing the installation so that i can give a suitable guarantee period.

things have moved on now. we now know the science of 'why' an installation can fail on ply.
we also now know that the imports that we recieve into the uk are substandard and more susceptable to delamination due to various glues used/grades of timber used etc..

we should be educating our customers so that they get the best possible installation. we should be aiming to prove that the initial extra outlay, far outways the extra added cost and inconvenience of a failed outdated substrate!

R

Rob Z

I would click on "rarely". Whenever possible, I try to sell a membrane as part of the job.

From what I've read here at Tilersforum about the various setting materials sold in the UK, I think we have an advantage here in the US and Canada in this regard because there are some really high quality products that have been develped specifically for setting tile and stone over two layers of plywood (quality plywood of course, properly installed).

Reply to POLL, Do you tile direct to Plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Let us know which brand of tiles adhesive you use. And the price per bag trade if possible. Let's see if there's is a disparity across the country.
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.